Knock sensors, UGH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ADVICE ALERT!!!!
A buddy of mine re-programs GM computers and he's GOOD. You can find him on FaceBook under Street Car Garage. He reflashed all of our police Tahoe's and he did my truck. He can disable the DoD/AFM which will extend engine life and he does custom tunes. He also has a chassis dyno. If anyone wants his contact info, PM me. He's located just east of Stillwater.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some jobs just fight you a little. I dropped the rear intake bolt off the back of the motor and couldn’t find it.
It’s a specialty thing and dealer only.
66e01cd2-d574-4963-bedf-c4571b5d582c-jpeg.188674
That is one odd looking duck.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just did this job on my 04 Silverado, twice! New one had an issue. Second time took less than an hour. It can be done without pulling alternator and not have to remove belt. It's just a little more difficult to get things aligned up and stuff out of the way.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just did this job on my 04 Silverado, twice! New one had an issue. Second time took less than an hour. It can be done without pulling alternator and not have to remove belt. It's just a little more difficult to get things aligned up and stuff out of the way.
Twice?! That would suck. IIRC, I think I left the belt and alternator on when I did my 04.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ADVICE ALERT!!!!
A buddy of mine re-programs GM computers and he's GOOD. You can find him on FaceBook under Street Car Garage. He reflashed all of our police Tahoe's and he did my truck. He can disable the DoD/AFM which will extend engine life and he does custom tunes. He also has a chassis dyno. If anyone wants his contact info, PM me. He's located just east of Stillwater.

I wouldn't mind running my 69 Charger on a chassis dyno once just to see.
No tuning necessary, just a run on the dyno to see the numbers.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would you reengineer the knock sensors to the firewall or any place else? Don't they have to be in contact with the block or the engine to sense a knock?
Just asking for a friend that has an 04 Silverado, me

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you reengineer the knock sensors to the firewall or any place else? Don't they have to be in contact with the block or the engine to sense a knock?
Just asking for a friend that has an 04 Silverado, me
Not sure if it has to be in contact or not. The sensors are threaded into the top of the motor but the shaft is solid. No wiring or port into the motor. The wires that come off of them got to a connector on the back of the intake. I ‘guess’ it gets the info from the intake?

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did this job on an ‘03 Yukon and per a YouTube video I found at the time (4 years ago) I laid a thick bead of gasket material right on the valley pan in front of that rear knock sensor to divert water away from it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this job on an ‘03 Yukon and per a YouTube video I found at the time (4 years ago) I laid a thick bead of gasket material right on the valley pan in front of that rear knock sensor to divert water away from it.
Heck, I sealed my caps up on the 04 and 06!

Latest posts

Top Bottom