Knockdown Power Myth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
High shoulder shot on a broad side animal will yield the same result whether shot with a .22-250, .270, .350 Rem Mag, .416 Rigby or a .500 Jeffery. It's results on a charging animal where there is some legitimacy to both accuracy is/isn't as important to small energy vs large energy.
Agreed although it would depend on the animal!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Hydrostatic shock".

Ron hinted around at it, and if this article is a little older, then I can understand why he didn't dive too deeply into it.

Let's see if I can condense it into a single sentence: The trauma caused by overpressure to the cardiovascular system, resulting in immediate loss of consciousness.

It is just as spectacular as a CNS shot when it happens, but you didn’t hit the spine or brain. The downside is that hydrostatic shock is unpredictable.

My experience is bigger AND faster increases the chance of this happening.

Some may erroneously determine that this phenomenon is a display of "knockdown power".

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know how this fits exactly but I have had what seemed like shorter runs or no running animals with chest hits from my 35 Remington and 35 Whelen. Just an observation nothing scientific. The Whelen seems to bring all the good things to the table, very good and very short blood trails.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Presenting the new 9mm Interceptor

1670801368800.png

1670801575932.png

OUCH!

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Don't know how this fits exactly but I have had what seemed like shorter runs or no running animals with chest hits from my 35 Remington and 35 Whelen. Just an observation nothing scientific. The Whelen seems to bring all the good things to the table, very good and very short blood trails.
If you’re looking for load data there is a guy over on Africa Hunting that is a HUGE fan of the 35 whelen and an experienced handloader

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another way you can determine recoil is to think of how much recoil hits your arm or hand when you shoot. Take that presser from recoil and think of it being concentrated into the size of a bullet instead of being spread out across your arm or hand then think of someone grabbing a bullet and stabbing you with that much force.

You see this exaggerated in movies when someone is shot in a movie and they fly across the room (because they have a rope around them). If a person were to have that much energy transferred into them it would be like being hit by a 50bmg. The results would be a very large exit wound, In that case most of the fur from a bear would be wasted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom