Know when you get lucky - and be thankful!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to realize when you get lucky, and give thanks.

Tonight I was doing a deep clean on the S&W 640 I just picked up from @O4L the other day. Took everything down to individual parts inside that J-frame and was putting it back together. The last part to go in before putting the plate back on was the rebound slide and spring. There I am, getting anxious to get it finished, and going a bit hastily getting the rebound slide spring compressed while trying to reinstall the assembly. Sure enough - BOING - there goes the spring flying across the room. I heard it hit the wall to my left. As luck would have it, right after it hit the wall, I felt it hit the high of my left shoulder and I felt it fall between my back and the chair. I reached around without moving an inch and felt the spring!! WHEW!!! It could've easily been an hour or two on my hands and knees with a flashlight hunting that spring. I carefully got it put back in place and got that 640 all back together, knowing full well how lucky I just got.

She's shining like a diamond now!

FYI - Kleenbore Lead Away Gun Cloth does wonders removing all the lead buildup on the front of the cylinder and around the forcing cone. Just make sure you wear gloves and run some regular cleaning solution over it once you're done with the lead removal.

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and @O4L, I'm feeling terrible about you having to change your avatar! It's just weird seeing your name without the pic of that revolver! As much as I like that 640, I feel like I did a disservice to OSA by buying the gun in your profile photo.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and @O4L, I'm feeling terrible about you having to change your avatar! It's just weird seeing your name without the pic of that revolver! As much as I like that 640, I feel like I did a disservice to OSA by buying the gun in your profile photo.

Lol! I didn't have to change it but I thought I would anyway. I'm glad you like the 640 Centennial.

Latest posts

Top Bottom