Komifornia Open karry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You live in CA, what do you do?

• Carry a handgun open unloaded?

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Carry a long gun riffle/shotgun open unloaded?

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Carry concealed and loaded (illegally)?

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Don't carry at all?

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the principle behind this. My understanding is that you can carry ammo (or maybe even a fully loaded mag?) just as long as it isn't in the gun. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case though, then I have to question the little old lady in the video that Madd Skillz posted. Unless she had a fanny pack of speed loaders or something, I can't see a revolver being a great idea. The law seems a lot more conducive to carrying an unloaded automatic, because the advantage now is given to the guy that loads up fastest.

davebloomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the principle behind this. My understanding is that you can carry ammo (or maybe even a fully loaded mag?) just as long as it isn't in the gun. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case though, then I have to question the little old lady in the video that Madd Skillz posted. Unless she had a fanny pack of speed loaders or something, I can't see a revolver being a great idea. The law seems a lot more conducive to carrying an unloaded automatic, because the advantage now is given to the guy that loads up fastest.

I agree but I still believe the advantage is in the hands of the criminal with an already loaded gun. +1 for the bad guys.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of this "unloaded open carry" going on in California. I'd think that if a bad guy wanted to work his crimes on someone, he would much rather choose someone with NO gun rather than someone with A gun, even if they had to load it.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes and no. You can carry your auto with either nothing in the magazine well or an empty mag in the gun. You can carry loaded mags but they must remain visible (not concealed or in your pocket) because the law says a magazine is in intergal part of the weapon. So if you conceal a mag, your concealing your weapon.

Revolvers are different because you can carry speed loaders in your pocket because a speed loader is not an intergal part of the weapon.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in the San Diego area for most of my adult life. I really enjoyed most of my time there. I was in the San Francisco area for about a month this year and had a nice time. I actually moved back to Oklahoma out of necessity. Cost of living got to be too much. My son still lives there and I do want to move back. Both Oklahoma and California have advantages and disadvantages.

so regarding the option to knowingly break the law - I am curious how many of the people going with that option said no to marijuana being legalized and used the argument of it's illegal nobody should do it.

I too am curious about this.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live part time in California and Oklahoma. Born in California but been going back and forth between the 2 states my whole life since my parents were both born in Oklahoma- my mom was moved there while her dad acted in movies in the 30s and 40s, and my dad moved there in the 50s when he joined the Marines- so I have relatives in both places. I grew up down south in Oceanside/San Diego/La Jolla then moved to the bay area to go to schools after HS, and then moved up north to the mountains after schools where I still have a place now. I love it there. And I love it here. I live in a rural area with a little bit of my own land both places- and both are near large cities. Rural California,especially in the mountains, is nothing like life in the cities there.

Ive had my CCW in California,Iowa,and now have it in Oklahoma. Ive also carried in my vehicles unloaded before and while waiting for my permits in California,Iowa and Oklahoma. And I would carry illegal if it meant being able to save my or my familys life. Thankfully Ive never had any trouble any where I lived.

I would like to retire to my little place up in the mountains some day but my Oklahoma born and bred wife will never go for it full time so I'm stuck living in both places the rest of my life. Both places have their advantages and disadvantages. But,unless youve lived there and here,then you cant really compare the two places.

Latest posts

Top Bottom