Kubota M8200 Fuel delivery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have finally been able to diagnose the problem. It is internal and is not working the fuel pump. It is an old school pump that mounts to the block.
What I'm wanting to do is convert it to an electronic external pump. Is that possible and would it need a regulator?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you mean the pump that pulls fuel from the tank, not the injector pump that sends it to the injectors, I wouldn't think there would be an issue with replacing it with an electric pump, as long as you can find a suitable replacement. From the parts explosion in Kubota's online parts catalog, it looks like it's just a simple mechanical pump driven by an eccentric off the injector pump, so you'd just need a suitable electric pump and a block-off plate.

If you're talking about the high-pressure injector pump, that's a different story--that pump is what times the injectors. Chances are good that you can get the injector pump rebuilt, though. My dad had to get the injector pump rebuilt for his JD 4010--having the sulfur (mostly) regulated out of diesel was hard on older diesel injector pumps, so it's not uncommon to have them rebuilt.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toss up a picture, if it’s just a lift pump supplying to the injection pump should be an easy bypass.
As soonerp226 said. Ifn it is the injection pump, retrofit to electronic controls would be a complicated and expensive venture.
Manual pumps seem complicated, could be just lost a barrel and plunger to an internal leak (easy fix at a pump shop)

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the primary fuel pump on the block delivers fuel from the tank at a correct psi in order for the injection pump to deliver the correct horsepower. i would replace with oem.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you guys. It is the pump that draws from the tank. The internal shaft in the block is not working the pump. The lobe or whatever was on the shaft isn't working the new pump. I blocked off on the block and hooked up the two hoses to the new pump and worked it by hand and the tractor ran. I would add a pic but the tractor is 25 miles from me at my sister's house. :)

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you guys. It is the pump that draws from the tank. The internal shaft in the block is not working the pump. The lobe or whatever was on the shaft isn't working the new pump. I blocked off on the block and hooked up the two hoses to the new pump and worked it by hand and the tractor ran. I would add a pic but the tractor is 25 miles from me at my sister's house. :)
Perfect information. Sounds like you lost the pump lobe on the camshaft. (Probably look inside and have someone bar the motor over slowly and see it if you want). I would definitely Spin the oil filter off and cut it open. It will be messy but will let you know if there is a lot of metal from the failure sitting in the oil pan.You may very well consider dumping the oil pan off and cleaning the trash out if it’s very bad. But...

A quick search reveals the machine is low 80’s for hp. Source was this screenshot

62706645-3A73-4A15-9B81-BFDD6E1A820D.png

You will need something similar to this.

C9343AC1-9C66-4D3C-AC22-B0B4D7976649.png

Specs on this look like is for those little 2500 Chevy v8 diesels. Probably a bit overkill. The excess should just head back to the tank via the return circuit. To me it would be better to have a bit of excess going through the return fuel line than possibly starving the injection pump.
Keep in mind, any leaks on the suction side of the pump will be a nightmare. After the pump will just be a mess.
Wiring it in-I would tie it into the run side of the ignition switch. A little extra work but I would forget to turn the switch off and have a dead battery.
Hide that switch though and that is very good theft deterrent.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
make sure there isn't supposed to be a small push rod between the fuel pump lever and the cam lobe or that the arm on the fuel pump isn't worn or broken. you might have dropped the push rod on the ground or it is in the block? IF it has one.

take it off and with a light inspect the cam lobe. if it is worn i doubt it but is possible then you will need an electric pump that makes the correct pressure for the supply. i don't know what the primary pressure is supposed to be but my guess is around 30 psi????

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom