Kytac Appendix IWB J-Frame Holster Review (tuckable)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one of the big reasons for appendix carry is -

it's supposed to be possible to draw when a bad guy has you in a bear hug or pinned with the arms trapped. The theory is, if your hands can still wiggle around- you should be able to draw the gun- and make a Hail Mary pelvic shot on the adversary.

I think that for a complete self-defense training regimen you should train enough grappling to be able to get free of the bear hug. I wouldn't want to be drawing a gun when I don't have a whole lot of control over where my arms go.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this holster, like most IWB holsters, doesn't have any retention mechanism I think the gun would just come out of the holster before you'd have to worry about belt clips failing.

One of the advantages (theoretically, I haven't tested it myself) of appendix carry is that it's in a position where it's easier to keep someone from grabbing it and fight for the gun more effectively.

Have you trained with the type of intensity that causes a holster to fail?

If not, read some of the stickies in the training forum first.

I can tell you with certainty and experience that when a violent assailant attacks your holstered firearm, the integrity of the clips is crucial. To get a look at what this type of training looks like, take a look at the videos on the USSA site.

I have taught this very subject to thousands of students and have seen a huge number of holsters that that their owners thought were the bomb in a competition, fail miserably when subjected to violent physical asault.

Kydex clips are one of the biggest culprits of these failures.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike... if I was a LEO and had to worry about fighting suspects to effect an arrest I'd probably have that holster made with a substantial belt loop too.

If your gun gets attacked, it won't matter what you do for a living; You'll want a strong, rigid system supported by strong physical alternatives.

Michael Brown

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your gun gets attacked, it won't matter what you do for a living; You'll want a strong, rigid system supported by strong physical alternatives.

Michael Brown
Understood . Please let clarify that stament is made in the context of current SDA laws.
We get to run away if it's prudent, you guys don't. We get to "deadly force" while you guys are still working escalation of force.

I still struggle mentally when I use an open top holster, having grown up in the "thumb break" heyday. The compromise between concealment and retention should be scrutinized by any person who carries a handgun

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATE: I decided to try wearing this little beauty "tucked" today and so far I have been to the eye Dr. and other non-gun friendly places and no one even suspected I was carrying. Here is a picture I snapped after wearing it all morning. No adjustments of the shirt etc. Just stood up and took a picture.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P4110047.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom