L.L. Bean hunting boots and other quality footwear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve been stretching my current rotation of shoes/boots for a bit longer than I should have, and am in need of replacements. I’ve always worn regular ol slip on cowboy/work boots or van’s classic style shoes for my day to day stuff. But I’m really needing something I can wear my special insoles in, and in the vein of buy once cry once, would like to purchase better quality, longer lasting footwear.

I’ve stumbled upon the classic LL Bean Maine Hunting shoes, the original design. Still made in the hood ol US of A. Everything I read talks about them being comfortable, and lasting 10 or even 20 years. What do you guys think? Any personal experiences?

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/331...oes-10&bc=506697&feat=506697-GN2&csp=a&pos=34
any other good footwear suggestions? What do you guys wear?

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are great boots!! Kinda weird looking, but great! I'd suggest a trip to Freeport, Maine to go to L.L. Bean's retail store to get 'em --- very neat place.

Good luck with what you decide!

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For that style of rubber lower boot made for the snow I have some LaCross Mountaineers. I have had them forever as i don't hunt high snow country as much as I used too. They are still ready to go if I do though but they dang sure don't seem like a mocassin to me if that is what your after.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’ve always had the idea that if they’re comfortable… get them. Who cares how long they last. I wore the same brand and model of Justin slip on work boots for 6 years because they were the most comfortable. I could get about a year out of them. Now I switched to Wolverine lace ups. Should have done laces a long time ago because these are a lot more comfortable but I did a lot of fab work and welding sparks would have burned them up.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If waterproof is what your looking for I personally always go for Muck boots. There waterproof, warm and have always got many years out of them. During wet, snowy weather I even wear them to work for dry warm feet.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not dead set on moccasins or waterproof boots, I’m trying to replace my day to day stuff for the most part. A comfy pair of boots and a decent pair of shoes or light boots is part of that. Just trying to find stuff not made in China that will last more than a year or two.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For that style of rubber lower boot made for the snow I have some LaCross Mountaineers. I have had them forever as i don't hunt high snow country as much as I used too. They are still ready to go if I do though but they dang sure don't seem like a mocassin to me if that is what your after.
I’ve heard great things about those lacross boots. I always have a hard time buying shoes online, scared that they won’t fit perfect.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not dead set on moccasins or waterproof boots, I’m trying to replace my day to day stuff for the most part. A comfy pair of boots and a decent pair of shoes or light boots is part of that. Just trying to find stuff not made in China that will last more than a year or two.

I went to looking some time back for good hiking shoes for when we were exploring out west. I was advised to look into Keen and Merrell footwear. I've since purchased a pair of Merrell walking shoes that I like for everyday wear and hiking. I also have a pair of Keen sandals that are really comfortable as well, although I mostly wear them in the summer and when we are doing our Summer work gig.

Link to Merrell Website

Link to Keen Website

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to looking some time back for good hiking shoes for when we were exploring out west. I was advised to look into Keen and Merrell footwear. I've since purchased a pair of Merrell walking shoes that I like for everyday wear and hiking. I also have a pair of Keen sandals that are really comfortable as well, although I mostly wear them in the summer and when we are doing our Summer work gig.

Link to Merrell Website

Link to Keen Website
I think merrells are next on my list of hiking shoes. Girlfriend purchased a pair last year when we were training to hike the Grand Canyon, they held up great through training and the trip.

I had a pair of the Salomon trail running shoes that were great, put hundreds of miles on them. But they don’t work with my insoles. So I bought the goretex high top salomon’s of the same style. 6 months and a few hundred miles later (likely less than 400) they’re not very comfy and more water resistant than water proof. They’re also coming unglued. Disappointing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom