L.L. Bean hunting boots and other quality footwear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to looking some time back for good hiking shoes for when we were exploring out west. I was advised to look into Keen and Merrell footwear. I've since purchased a pair of Merrell walking shoes that I like for everyday wear and hiking. I also have a pair of Keen sandals that are really comfortable as well, although I mostly wear them in the summer and when we are doing our Summer work gig.

Link to Merrell Website

Link to Keen Website
I've been wearing the same style of Keen hiking shoes for over 10 years. They work great with my special insoles, the tread area is very durable, and I haven't worn out an upper yet. The inner liner begins showing its age before anything else but I still use my very first pair as my walk-around-the-house shoe. I bought this style the first time on the recommendation of Backpacker magazine in their annual gear edition.

I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots that have been very serviceable since I purchased them at a CO resort years ago. They've retained their waterproof qualities, the sole/tread shows little wear but the upper is showing its age, especially around the toe-cap area. I'll probably buy a pair of Keen boots to replace the Merrell.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both the keen and Merrill hiking boot (Mid-height) Love the wide toe box on the keen although I wear a D width.

The Merrill’s are nice but my left pinky toe gets sore on day hikes, theres some break in required that was skipped with the keens.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had decent luck with Merrill hiking shoes. I have a discontinued model of Danner hunting boots that are pretty close to the Grouse or Powderhorn current models that I really like. A lot of Danner's are now made overseas but the made in USA models are still legit.

I also have a pair of Thorogood work boots and that will probably be my last pair because they'll outlast me. Best pair of boots I've ever owned.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wearing the same style of Keen hiking shoes for over 10 years. They work great with my special insoles, the tread area is very durable, and I haven't worn out an upper yet. The inner liner begins showing its age before anything else but I still use my very first pair as my walk-around-the-house shoe. I bought this style the first time on the recommendation of Backpacker magazine in their annual gear edition.

I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots that have been very serviceable since I purchased them at a CO resort years ago. They've retained their waterproof qualities, the sole/tread shows little wear but the upper is showing its age, especially around the toe-cap area. I'll probably buy a pair of Keen boots to replace the Merrell.

Well, if we are taking inventory, I have a pair of Keen hiking boots (goes up more onto my ankle), the Keen sandals, the Merrell walking shoes (not high top), and a funky pair of Croc's sandals that are not leather that I use if I'm walking somewhere that I know I will be walking in some water. If I'm really hiking, and to me , hiking is not the many, many miles type hiking, I wear the Keen boots.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Twisted x has some very comfy shoes. Bought some at Atwood’s.
My Frye boots have been great, but are insanely priced now.
Also, my timberlands are quite comfy.
I hunt in muck boots.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LL Bean makes a good boot. I think for that style Schnee’s is a little better built.

If you want boots that will truly last a couple of decades, skip Red Wing and look at Nick’s Handmade Boots out of Spokane. Hand lasted, custom made to your feet, completely rebuildable. 40 hour break in period but after that they’re good to be worn 18 hours a day without pain (in most cases). Because they’re rebuildable, in the long run they won’t cost you any more than normal work boots. In the short run, they’ll demolish your wallet.

If you want comfort and a good price Merrell is a good place to start. Swap out their junk innersole before you wear them. I’ve picked up their hikers on sale for ~$60 and they last a couple years before they finally just fall off my feet.

If you’ve done any reading into barefoot zero drop shoes and think it might solve some knee/back pain etc, I’d look at Lem’s Waterproof Boulder Boot. They will probably be my next purchase to see if it will help me as much as it has some of my friends. Anxynt also makes what amounts to zeros drop barefoot shoes - they’re hand made moccasins meant for hunting. Any cobbler can resole them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom