L.L. Bean hunting boots and other quality footwear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve worn a pair of Red Wing Pecos boots pretty much on a daily basis for about 20 years, but I think the heritage line are the only ones still made in the USA. I’ve been looking at the Tecovas brand here lately. The company is based in Austin, but the boots are made in Mexico. They seem to have pretty good reviews. Planning on taking a look at them in person next time I’m in OKC.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve worn a pair of Red Wing Pecos boots pretty much on a daily basis for about 20 years, but I think the heritage line are the only ones still made in the USA. I’ve been looking at the Tecovas brand here lately. The company is based in Austin, but the boots are made in Mexico. They seem to have pretty good reviews. Planning on taking a look at them in person next time I’m in OKC.
Bought a pair of Tecovas about six months ago, they are comfy. They have the vibram sole, that’s the key to longevity in my experience. Wore red wings for years, once they quit using vibram soles, they didn’t last near as long.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Tecovas about six months ago, they are comfy. They have the vibram sole, that’s the key to longevity in my experience. Wore red wings for years, once they quit using vibram soles, they didn’t last near as long.
Good to know that you like your Tecovas. I’m looking forward to checking them out.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know buying online may be tough to get the right fit and feel but you should give the Schnees boot a go. They are spendy but have a great reputation. I have the Extreme 13" for really cold weather or when i go to the mountains but they have a ton in their lineup of boot for many occasions.

https://schnees.com/hunt/boots/?sort=bestselling&page=1

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to suggest the Danner boot line. Many law enforcement and people that spend a lot of time on their feet wear Danner. I have several pair and them are comfortable and tough. One pair is over 10 years old and still great. I found found they do not even need a break in period. Right out of the box comfortable and ready to go for a hike.

To water proof just about any leather boot wipe them down with mink oil or something similar. I prefer Hubbard boot grease. Softens the leather and makes them waterproof like a rubber boot.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to suggest the Danner boot line. Many law enforcement and people that spend a lot of time on their feet wear Danner. I have several pair and them are comfortable and tough. One pair is over 10 years old and still great. I found found they do not even need a break in period. Right out of the box comfortable and ready to go for a hike.

To water proof just about any leather boot wipe them down with mink oil or something similar. I prefer Hubbard boot grease. Softens the leather and makes them waterproof like a rubber boot.
I second Danners, I wear their lighter weight synthetic mid shin pair for when I do field work, I’ve ran mine in 8+ miles of off trail surveying in some of the thickest briar and crap vegetation you’ve ever seen and they’ve held up wonderfully. For day to day I’d recommend twisted x for slip on. Just bought a new pair of their bomber ankle high slip on shoes and they’re comfortable as all get out.

you can find the danners at cabelas/bass pro and Langstons was having a sale on the Twisted X ones for like $100

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/vital-8-brown.html
https://www.sheplers.com/twisted-x-...shTZEfgkfPV7ixfb5dtMykD99Ifwh3axoC-v0QAvD_BwE

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think merrells are next on my list of hiking shoes. Girlfriend purchased a pair last year when we were training to hike the Grand Canyon, they held up great through training and the trip.

I had a pair of the Salomon trail running shoes that were great, put hundreds of miles on them. But they don’t work with my insoles. So I bought the goretex high top salomon’s of the same style. 6 months and a few hundred miles later (likely less than 400) they’re not very comfy and more water resistant than water proof. They’re also coming unglued. Disappointing.
I just got back from hiking Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas this week. I wore Merrell trail shoes and a buddy wore Salomon. Neither of us got blisters. I replaced the Merrell inserts with Dr. Sholes Gel inserts and was very happy with the level of cushion from walking 27 miles on angular rocks.

I've owned several pairs of Merrell boots and shoes and they have held up well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom