Lack of sex education in Oklahoma City schools raises questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True. But now teen moms want to finish school and participate in things, and not just vanish from school and life into shame like the days of old.

Someone owes it to the kids to tell them how hear things work. I think school isn't a bad place to make it a science lesson. Obviously parent on the whole aren't getting the job done.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True. But now teen moms want to finish school and participate in things, and not just vanish from school and life into shame like the days of old.

Someone owes it to the kids to tell them how hear things work. I think school isn't a bad place to make it a science lesson. Obviously parent on the whole aren't getting the job done.

Agreed

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an incoherent post. How do you address the "it can't happen to me, mind set" without birth control? How Rick?

How about luck? The luck that you and I had forty years ago that allows us to shake our moralistic fingers at todays young folk?

Nothing incoherent about it. You can give them all the free condoms you want, it does not mean they are going to use them. That is why I said the only real way is to force girls onto the pill and that is not going to happen unless a parent does it. The government should never think about it, let alone attempt it.

As for sex ed, it needs to come from the parents, science class, and the media. Right now all the media shows is that sex is fun, very seldom does it show the responsibilities that come with it.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. The government should never think As for sex ed, it needs to come from the parents, science class, and the media. Right now all the media shows is that sex is fun, very seldom does it show the responsibilities that come with it.

Needs to come from parents and science class, and the media? From science class? You mean, like science class in school? Seriously, is that what you mean?
Because really if "science class" gives the kids the information that they would get in a sex ed class... what exactly are you talking about?
Sex Ed? Science? I guess it'll all come out in the wash.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now all the media shows is that sex is fun, very seldom does it show the responsibilities that come with it.

Seems to me that the media does indeed depict sex as fun, which I hate to break it to you:it is, But the media also seems to discourage teen pregnancy. Public service annoncement type stuff. I don't get those late night channels you get on cable TV, Rick.
I'm sure they're pretty saucy.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J Sch Health. 1983 Mar;53(3):210-1.

Intentional teenage pregnancies.

Cohen SJ.

Abstract

Recent evidence indicates that many teenagers, despite access to birth control information and services, are choosing not to utilize them, and, therefore, are becoming intentionally pregnant. Several studies have begun to provide reasons for this new dilemma and profiles of those teenagers who become intentionally pregnant. New strategies have to be developed by health care professionals to combat this problem. Some suggestions are presented.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6552335

J Adolesc Health. 1996 Jul;19(1):48-53; discussion 54-5.

Why pregnant adolescents say they did not use contraceptives prior to conception.

Stevens-Simon C, Kelly L, Singer D, Cox A.

Source

Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver 80218, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

In this study we attempted to learn why childbearing adolescents failed to use contraceptives prior to conception. We hypothesized that among adolescents who elect to bear their children, positive and/or ambivalent feelings about having a baby are the most frequently cited reasons for not having used contraceptives.

RESULTS:

The most frequently cited reasons for not using contraceptives prior to conception were: "I didn't mind getting pregnant" (20%) and "I wanted to get pregnant" (17.5%), followed by "I was using birth control but it didn't work (broke)" (12%), "I thought there was something wrong with me and I couldn't get pregnant" (9%) and "I just didn't get around to it" (9%). Teenagers who cited positive and/or ambivalent attitudes toward childbearing as their primary reason for not using contraceptives at the time of conception did not differ from others with regard to age, Medicaid status, gravidity, parity, frequency of living with parents, partner's age, depressive symptoms, or perceived family support. They were, however, more likely to have known the father of the baby for more than 6 months at the time of conception [odds ratio (OR) 2.53; 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.22-5.26) and to have dropped out of school (OR) 2.15; 95% CI 1.10-4.26].

CONCLUSIONS:

The study hypothesis was supported. The absence of negative attitudes toward having babies rather than negative attitudes toward contraceptives is the most commonly cited reason for nonuse of contraceptives among childbearing adolescents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8842860

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is why I said the only real way is to force girls onto the pill and that is not going to happen unless a parent does it

Why not mandatory vasectomy? It's reversible with microsurgery.
Once Timmy becomes an adult and can pass an I.Q. test and a personality test, of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom