Lake day, Thunderbird or Wes Watkins or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would like to take the family for a day at the lake for swimming and picnic, dog too. I live close to Thunderbird and Wes Watkins so I figured they would be possible spots. Would love to take our big Rott who loves people and water. Maybe throw a fishing line or two in also. Can anyone provide good info on where we might go and enjoy the day?

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We always go to Hog Creek campground at Thunderbird. Just east of the ramp a bit there is a beach area you can setup and pull a boat/ski up on the bank. Got some other friends that love the **** out of the Little Axe Campground area, its probably nicer over there but you have to pay a small fee to get in for the day.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My granddaughters are 4 and 7. My son lives 5 min away from the swim beach on some land. They had never swam in the lake before the other day. They loved the sand beach and want to go daily now. Not the clearest water around, but they loved it. They went home and took a bath. :rollingla

I have been to Wes Watkins twice. Nice lake.

Last edited:

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the fishing front, Thunderbird any day of the week. Wes Watkins charges three dollars a day to fish and haven't had the much good fishing on the lake. For the beach and swimming, both are really good. We usually end at Wes Watkins because we bring the kayaks and its easier for the kids to kayak on.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is Lake Thunderbird still referred to as Lake Dirtybird? Back in 2010-2011, we went looking for a place to go in our "new-then" fifth wheel for its first usage. Took one look at T-bird and left. Ended up spending our week at Red Rock Canyon State Park near Hinton.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember swimming there in high school and my mom getting mad because she couldn't get the red out of our tighty whities....

Latest posts

Top Bottom