Lake thermocline ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One way is an electric thermometer with a marked wire for depth. Helps to have someone write down the depth/temp as you go.
I use it on lakes new to me and have gotten some real surprises.
Oxygen readings done the same way are good on still lakes too.

For more money, you can buy a digital one that records the profile
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Fish-Hawk-TD-Digital-AtDepth-Water-Temp-Gauge

Last edited:

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got my jugs rigged and ready for this weekend, and will be jug fishing from Saturday morning till Monday afternoon...

Some of the old timers said to troll around the lake where I will be fishing, and to get an average depth of where the fish are at, looking at the fish finder. They said that the fish were over deep holes, but their fish finders showed that the vast majority of fish were at 23 to 27 feet. They said to bait up at 25 feet, and that would be in the "feeding zone". Would you guys consider this to be wise thinking or not?

I haven't been on the lake enough with my new fish finder, and I am still learning it. It does show beautiful structure, depth and exact fish location, and it very easily tracks a crank bait back to the boat. I'm thinking that I can get an average depth of the fish in the area where I will be jugging, and start with that. How much above and below do you think I can go, and still stay in the strike zone?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I avoid the lake on the big holiday weekends unless I am just going to catch some sun, a buzz and look at girls. Goodluck running jugs on a busy weekend. Most will give 2 chits if they tangle em up with boat traffic, and some lake lice will make a speed course out of the "bouys".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got my jugs rigged and ready for this weekend, and will be jug fishing from Saturday morning till Monday afternoon...

Some of the old timers said to troll around the lake where I will be fishing, and to get an average depth of where the fish are at, looking at the fish finder. They said that the fish were over deep holes, but their fish finders showed that the vast majority of fish were at 23 to 27 feet. They said to bait up at 25 feet, and that would be in the "feeding zone". Would you guys consider this to be wise thinking or not?

I haven't been on the lake enough with my new fish finder, and I am still learning it. It does show beautiful structure, depth and exact fish location, and it very easily tracks a crank bait back to the boat. I'm thinking that I can get an average depth of the fish in the area where I will be jugging, and start with that. How much above and below do you think I can go, and still stay in the strike zone?

Depends on whether you want blues or flats. The thermocline where I fish is running about 30ft right now, so that tracks with what the old timers are telling you. Blues should be pretty good at 20-28 ft, but flats will come up shallower in the late evening to feed. A couple of weeks ago I caught 7# and 5# flatheads at 12-15ft, running a crankbait across a submerged point to where it would hit the bottom. That was as the sun was beginning to dip below the hills. Keep in mind the moon will be brighter this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom