Land and Pipeline Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be incorrect in this, but I think that railroad rights-of-way are owned by the railroad. I know of a rail line up in the Panhandle that was abandoned decades ago, but most of that right-of-way is still not accessible or usable by the landowners across which land the R-O-W crosses.

The reason I make this statement is because I've heard of photographers that wanted to get onto railroad rights-of-way and photograph passing trains. They've been run off when the railroad reported them as trespassers.
Your correct. We have several abandoned railroads in North Central Ok. Most have been returned to the landowners on either side, but some are still restricted.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the replies. An attorney seems like the way to go. Looks like a nice piece of land for what we would want but job location may dictate our final location in and/or around Creek County area.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, do NOT rely on what you are told regarding the depth of any pipeline, especially old ones. One of the places I hunt has an old pipeline running across it that has been hooked with farm implements more than once. The pipeline was abandoned, and the company was finally forced to remove it. At least, I haven't heard of any more issues for several years so I guess they got it all out of there.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, do NOT rely on what you are told regarding the depth of any pipeline, especially old ones. One of the places I hunt has an old pipeline running across it that has been hooked with farm implements more than once. The pipeline was abandoned, and the company was finally forced to remove it. At least, I haven't heard of any more issues for several years so I guess they got it all out of there.

I would agree with this especially regarding older lines. Modern pipelines in this area are typically specified at a minimum of 3' to top of pipe. Another thing to be aware of, at times, a company will use an existing right of way to install another pipeline, or sell access to an existing right of way to another company. Not sure exactly how this works for the landowner, but a lawyer's advise probably wouldn't hurt here either.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing to be aware of, at times, a company will use an existing right of way to install another pipeline, or sell access to an existing right of way to another company.
Someone I know has a decommissioned oil pipeline that runs across the back edge of his property. It hasn't carried petroleum products for years (maybe decades), but Chickasaw Telecom either bought or leased it and has run fiberoptic lines through it. It aggravates him something awful--he's stuck with AT&T's tin cans and string while there's modern networking running through his property...

Latest posts

Top Bottom