Land to shoot on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Landwatch.com for all my land searches in OK. You can filter your search fairly well and get down to the minimum acreage, by county, etc.

Tell me if you don't mind: Your budget (approximate) and what are your top 4 counties you'd prefer to own this shooting land in. Do you hunt as well?

No budget in mind, though less is more of course. No preference on counties either, I will go wherever the best deal can be had. I don’t plan on doing any hunting, just poking holes in paper.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I leased 100 acres down there almost 10 years ago. I only remember it was halfway between OKC and Tulsa off I-44. Wasn't too bad for the summer. It had a pond too. Guy leased it for 6 months for something like $1500, I believe. Was quite some time ago. Seemed kinda off at first, he just wrote something up for me on a piece of paper. But he answered me from a post on here and no one ever bothered me. Someone may answer you. I would post in the other sections too.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Start off by reading about a gun range ….and work the numbers before leasing or buying.

A. The property size must be able to hold the desired range sizes.
B. What would be down range? Need land for a buffer?
C. Need buffer on sides for noise?
D. Need berms to stop the bullets …. Tall enough to be effective for bad shots, etc.

E.target choice can cause ricochets.

This is why few people have a proper range but join a club ….

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Start off by reading about a gun range ….and work the numbers before leasing or buying.

A. The property size must be able to hold the desired range sizes.
B. What would be down range? Need land for a buffer?
C. Need buffer on sides for noise?
D. Need berms to stop the bullets …. Tall enough to be effective for bad shots, etc.

E.target choice can cause ricochets.

This is why few people have a proper range but join a club ….

And you need to clear rocks that are down range to reduce richocetes

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a nice range.
I live about 10 minutes from okc gun club.. I just prefer shooting alone.
Public ranges burnt me out, I got tired of people asking to shoot my suppressors or ogling my other half like they’ve never seen a woman shoot a gun before. I had good luck at Banner for a while, but almost got my head taken off when I was down range changing targets.
I am sure okcgc and this club are different, but if I am paying a lot of $ to shoot, I figure I might as well spend a little more and get my own spot.
I hear you about public ranges, OKCGC may not have as many stupid people going down range with a live range but you still get the dumbass that just starts walking to his target with someone still shooting.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another expense I didn't see mentioned is the continued gas cost forever driving back and forth to a piece of property 100 miles away. Gas is cheap now but no guarantee it will stay that way.

Down near where I used to live the neighbors kept the county sheriff busy with ricochet calls on a couple small farm parcels. Eventually one of them got hauled to jail over a couple bullet holes in the neighboring house.
Just info from my experience. YMMV

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lexington Wildlife area has a pretty nice range, 1 dedicated rifle, 1 half rifle half pistol, and one pistol only. Usually crowded on weekends but pretty quite during the week

Latest posts

Top Bottom