Land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where are you thinking about moving? Prices listed online these days are comical to say the least. It appears that the influx of the Chinese buying properties for cash (where they get that cash is a whole other question) and above market value for grow properties has driven asking prices through the roof as far as listed properties with realtors is concerned. Your best bet is to find someone local to your desired area who knows the people. The only land that I’d still call a bargain in this state is deep SE, and it’s gone up as well. Where I’m at (Garvin County) prices are all over the map, but constantly trending higher. And now large tracts are going high as well because there’s enough people able to dump large sums of 10/31 exchange money into them from out of state to avoid taxes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you will find is property values have jumped up dramatically over the last year or two.

1. People moving here to get rich raising pot.

2. People who now work from home wanting the same slice of heaven.

3. Foreign investors speculating on our property values.

Let me add one more.
Corporations buying land vs sending tax money to the government.

Most of our farms are surrounded or adjoined by corporate farming operations.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot depends on your job. Are you tela working? Or go to job working? I have 3 acres in Faxon which is 18 miles from Fort Sill where I work so the commute is not too bad. No traffic, no tolls. 3 acres 3 BR, 3BA $175K. Also, are you a vet?

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in Tulsa city most of my life and decided to move to the country several years ago. Yes a lot to think about. You want trees and rolling hills or flatland? Close to a lake or river? Then if you get too remote utilities can be a problem to work around with particularly water or have a well dug and all the stuff that goes with that and natural gas may not be available so you might be on propane or total electric. The best internet I can get is 25GB/mo max of cellphone connection at 4MB speed for $90/mo. You may have to be picky about what cell phone service will work where you are. Closest loaf of bread is 6 miles, closest real grocery store is 12 miles, and real shopping is 35 miles. I have a few skunks, opossums, and armadillo and coyotes around at times, but I could shoot deer off my front porch with a 45 if I wanted. haha

Saying all that, I love it here, partly because I am 2 minutes from by boat dock to get on the lake frequently in the summer, no neighbors within sight, and no one looking at my attire going in and out of my hot tub in the evenings with my fire ring in the back yard.

It does have its advantages of being peaceful, but also a few drawbacks to living in or very close to the city to go out to eat frequently. Do your research well and enjoy thinking and planning on your retirement.

If you have a good ATT signal check out Ubifi. $90/month unlimited with speeds of 10-40Mb down.

Our local elec coop is running fiber to all houses so within the next few years should be getting Gig speeds. A good use of CARES dollars!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Far western Oklahoma. Even noble county prairie land is north of $2500/acre and that was a 120 acre plot. Plain ranch land with out utilities, maybe a pond. Along hwy 64 and with a creek running through it brought 3200/acre. Teddy Roosevelt said “Buy land, their not making anymore”

Foreign buyers are buying all they can get their hands in. Think Marijuana growth and realistically, no maintenance, buy and hold or use. I heard of a. Recent sale in Texas of 150,000 unremarkable acres to a Chinese conglomerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats cheap to me. I sold my property in Grady Co. SE of Tuttle and it brought $18,000 an acre
Just remember, whatever price you pay for it today, it will continually go up every year and when you sell or pass it on to your kids/relatives in a will, it will have appreciated quite a bit.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 2 years. place is surface only, no mineral. That is not unusual these days.
From what I understand, it’s highly unusual to find property in Oklahoma where the mineral rights go along with the surface rights; I was told that the mineral rights for most Oklahoma properties were severed long ago. I know my grandpa didn’t get mineral rights with the properties he bought in Hughes and Seminole counties back in the late ‘50s.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Far western Oklahoma. Even noble county prairie land is north of $2500/acre and that was a 120 acre plot. Plain ranch land with out utilities, maybe a pond. Along hwy 64 and with a creek running through it brought 3200/acre. Teddy Roosevelt said “Buy land, their not making anymore”

Foreign buyers are buying all they can get their hands in. Think Marijuana growth and realistically, no maintenance, buy and hold or use. I heard of a. Recent sale in Texas of 150,000 unremarkable acres to a Chinese conglomerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, Chesapeake energy was bought by the same.. All I can say is one better boyscout..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Energy

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That buyer was an idiot for not driving around the property and exploring their future purchase to realize a dump was right there. I agree. I always do my own due diligence to validate information I am given. I recommend the OP do the same.
If you’re looking at rural property, it also pays to talk to the county sheriff. My brother’s father-in-law was looking at a property, and his wife prodded him into talking to the sheriff. The sheriff told him if he bought it to make sure everything that could be moved was chained down because they had a lot of trouble with methheads stealing everything they could get their hands on in that area.

Needless to say, he bought elsewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom