Land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is 10 acres at lake Eucha that is available. I used to own it and I heard the current owner wants to sell, $20K I believe. Nice hill top on a county road with a pole barn and REC available and it’s surrounded by City of Tulsa property.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my question was misunderstood. I wasn’t asking where in the state to purchase, but rather where to look to find land for sale. My aunt found her property 20 years ago in the back of a newspaper classifieds section. Most websites I’ve seen just list thousand acre ranches for millions of dollars.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my question was misunderstood. I wasn’t asking where in the state to purchase, but rather where to look to find land for sale. My aunt found her property 20 years ago in the back of a newspaper classifieds section. Most websites I’ve seen just list thousand acre ranches for millions of dollars.
If you have an area in mind, you might check around to see if any newspapers are still being published around there. Small town newspaper ads will probably have less buyer competetion, if any are available.

Just a thought. Luck.
:drunk2:

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
From what I understand, it’s highly unusual to find property in Oklahoma where the mineral rights go along with the surface rights; I was told that the mineral rights for most Oklahoma properties were severed long ago. I know my grandpa didn’t get mineral rights with the properties he bought in Hughes and Seminole counties back in the late ‘50s.

I got the mineral when I bought my kay county farm and kept the mineral rights for myself when I sold it. That farm sits on the nemaha ridge which is a productive feature in the area. But, you are correct now a days it is unusual of to get the mineral without paying extra. IE per arce for the land and X amount for the mineral.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those links that I provided earlier have some smaller acreage on them. If you're on Facebook, there's some groups on there as well, like this one https://www.facebook.com/groups/806073759415346/

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife and I eventually want to retire to our own piece of God's earth. Where is the best place to find land for sale? I've done searches online and mostly come up with websites selling thousand acre ranches. We're looking for 20 acres or so that we could build a retirement home on in the next 20 years (we're late 30's). Where would I look for something like that?
There is some land out here by me for sale at the moment. It’s actually about a block down the road and is way back off south rock creek road. It’s 80 acres and has a home on it. The home is not very nice so I would either fix it up or demolish it. But the land is amazing. I think it has a couple ponds and a creek. It’s around $480,000. I know it’s more than you are looking for but the land is excellent. If I had the money I would buy it and slap a double wide on it. Berkshire Hathaway is selling it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OEC has a classifieds section in their monthly magazine, and it has a land for sale section (although it looks pretty thin). I'd think that most of Oklahoma's electric coops do, too, so you might check the coop that serves the area where you want to buy.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked for rural land about 12 years ago. After almost giving up, I found the perfect place. 21 acres that had a year round creek in the canyon. From the nearest paved road, you had to drive 2 miles on gravel/dirt roads to the cattle guard, then drive down the 2-track road, over another cattle guard to get to the land. It was a great place to hide from the gangs of city folks that were sure to show up after the fall of civilization. It even offered great fields of fire, should I need to defend my hidden bug-out home. The first thing I had to do was build 1,100 feet of barbed-wire fence to keep the neighbor's cattle out. 20 of the t-posts had to have holes drilled in a rock that was about the size of a battleship. My original plan was to build a house on the property, but the reality was that builders demanded a huge premium because of the remoteness of the potential building site. I decided to put a quality double-wide on it instead.

Gotta' get a perc test before they will put in the septic tank. Getting people to make the trip to somewhere beyond the middle of nowhere to do those jobs isn't easy and it isn't cheap. Gotta' drill a water well. $$$$ Just the footing necessary to place the double-wide cost $7,000. The sections of the double-wide are too long and wide to get around the corners on the county roads, so I had to do some creative tree trimming with my chainsaw. Those sections are also too wide to make it thru the cattle guards, so we had to lay down a couple of sections of barbed-wife fence and go thru a neighbor's fields. Not off to a good start with the neighbors.

The installation crew got everything in place and leveled after a few days. You wouldn't believe how much damage the move did inside the double-wide. It eventually got fixed, but it wasn't exactly fun to see my 6 figure investment in such a state. Guess what? We still have to get electricity from the nearest pole that is over 1,000 away. No, the electrician did NOT feel sorry for me and give me a special deal. Oh, We still need a trench dug to bury the pipe and power to and from the well that is about 100 feet from the house. It wouldn't do much good without putting a couple thousand dollars worth of pump in the well.

The nearest supplier of concrete was about 50 miles away, so those prices made my new garage floor cost a bit more than expected. We got the garage framed and roofed. That 31 inch step up from the ground to the floor helped us decide that we needed porches and steps front and rear. The gravel for the driveway cost $270 per truckload. I'm getting tired of typing and I haven't even gotten to the lawn sprinklers, water hydrants, trees and bushes for landscaping, sod to control some of the blowing dust, fences around house and telephone installation. By the time it was done, I was so sick of it that all I could think about was selling it and moving to town. That is exactly what we did. Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you to just get some land and stick a trailer on it. It doesn't work that way in the real world.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rural living ain't for the faint of heart.

Seeing a soccer mom SUV driving 20 down a few miles of gravel road trying to stay clean isn't happening. The dirt is real and can be really bad at times. If road isn't maintained well, it can be a 4x4 experience after a rain.

Some people buy an overglorified lot (2-5 acres) in the county and build or move in a house close to the road just like city living and then gripe of the vehicles "flying" down the road. I believe most county speed limits are 45mph and some are 55mph. Traffic down a dirt/gravel road kicks up dirt. If you are downwind of that it is going to blow all over you. Early morning dew is like a magnet for the dust. It doesn't take long for a red roofed house to look chalky white from dust accumulation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom