Largest Wind Farm Built At Once In North America Now Running In Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what makes Wind turbines not green?

I know solar panels made from pure silica which takes a crap ton of energy to refine for panels etc. So what is it with turbines? Cost to manufacture, maint cost? or something else?
You can start with the 1000’s of gallons of petroleum lubrication oils they use in their lifetime, and you can move on to the energy required to manufacture them, which like ethanol, will never be offset by the energy they produce. It’s a net negative. They are not green.

That’s before we even start to discuss the environmental impact of their existence and operation to Mother Earth and her creatures. They are not green.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“More than 8 million people died in 2018 from fossil fuel pollution, significantly higher than previous research suggested, according to new research from Harvard University, in collaboration with the University of Birmingham, the University of Leicester and University College London. Researchers estimated that exposure to particulate matter from fossil fuel emissions accounted for 18 percent of total global deaths in 2018 — a little less than 1 out of 5.

Regions with the highest concentrations of fossil fuel-related air pollution — including Eastern North America, Europe, and South-East Asia — have the highest rates of mortality, according to the study published in the journal Environmental Research.

source: Deaths from fossil fuel emissions higher than previously thought

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
When this first came out (wind energy) there was an option to opt for it on your electric bill. We thought, "Holy cow! Wind energy? That's almost free! Sign me up!"
Our bill went up by almost $60.00.
When we called to find out why we were paying more for free energy they said "Oh I see here you signed up for the wind energy program. That's our most expensive option, but thank you for helping out the environment".
We canceled right then and there. It's all a scam to get more money funneled to democrat politicians. Remember Solindra?
"Gimme millions Mr Politician, I'll give you back millions, and then file for bankruptcy"
Your wind energy is being transmitted on the same transmission lines as my gas fired plant energy. People don't understand this. They think they are saving the planet and being green by signing up for this scam. It was also subsidised by the government.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can start with the 1000’s of gallons of petroleum lubrication oils they use in their lifetime, and you can move on to the energy required to manufacture them, which like ethanol, will never be offset by the energy they produce. It’s a net negative. They are not green.

That’s before we even start to discuss the environmental impact of their existence and operation to Mother Earth and her creatures. They are not green.
How about the cost to just install the things? They have to pay a crew with two cranes to build the thing in a windy location but cannot work in a windy location and are usually sitting on their butts in motel rooms waiting on the wind to die down. A crane operator I know told me he made $200,000,00 one year installing windmills by sitting on his butt about 1/2 the time. They only work in good weather too, No snow, ice, or rain.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

i counted 12 turbines just in one area all with the top third of the tower soaked with what looks like oil. the worst of them have a dark brown coating on the nacelle.

ozinok

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, we were talking wind farms and I did not catch the subject change.
I truly wasn't trying to purposely hijack or change the subject, just trying to point out that most disasters created by man are due to mis-information and/or perceptions that are not necessarily fact. Public policy and politicians are ultimately a product of the public. I don't particularly like wind turbines either, mostly due to aesthetics and a real future disposal issue ... most other arguments that I hear are simply not fact.
I have worked in most parts of the power generation industry most of my life ... Coal, Gas, Bio-gas, Syn-Gas, Solar PV, Solar Concentrators and large Wind (both on and off shore) and take a keen interest in the subject of energy supply in general ...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You forgot all that resin that makes up most of the blades, mast and nacelle. It comes from petroleum crude oil. Oh and a not small quantity of diesel to deliver and install them.

they aren’t anywhere near green and never will be.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot all that resin that makes up most of the blades, mast and nacelle. It comes from petroleum crude oil. Oh and a not small quantity of diesel to deliver and install them.

they aren’t anywhere near green and never will be.

No, I didn’t forget it, I just didn’t mention it because the list of what is “not green” about them includes everything to do with their manufacture, erection, operation and finally disposal after their useful life. From birth to grave, they are not green. But yeah, the resin and glass alone needed to build one blade is mind boggling. I was in the resin business for a long time. It’s about as environmentally friendly as a burning tire.

The continued discussion of a complete move away from fossil fuels just gets more ridiculous every time it happens.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I truly wasn't trying to purposely hijack or change the subject, just trying to point out that most disasters created by man are due to mis-information and/or perceptions that are not necessarily fact. Public policy and politicians are ultimately a product of the public. I don't particularly like wind turbines either, mostly due to aesthetics and a real future disposal issue ... most other arguments that I hear are simply not fact.
I have worked in most parts of the power generation industry most of my life ... Coal, Gas, Bio-gas, Syn-Gas, Solar PV, Solar Concentrators and large Wind (both on and off shore) and take a keen interest in the subject of energy supply in general ...
I did not even notice a link but I do agree that modern nuclear is the best bet. Especially if they keep pushing electric cars. That will be the only way to produce enough power to run them. Wind and solar will never do it. I am wondering about the new air independent hydrogen engines they are putting in modern subs. Could they be a source of clean, reliable energy?

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“More than 8 million people died in 2018 from fossil fuel pollution, significantly higher than previous research suggested, according to new research from Harvard University, in collaboration with the University of Birmingham, the University of Leicester and University College London. Researchers estimated that exposure to particulate matter from fossil fuel emissions accounted for 18 percent of total global deaths in 2018 — a little less than 1 out of 5.

Regions with the highest concentrations of fossil fuel-related air pollution — including Eastern North America, Europe, and South-East Asia — have the highest rates of mortality, according to the study published in the journal Environmental Research.

source: Deaths from fossil fuel emissions higher than previously thought
This is pure bullsh*t.

Latest posts

Top Bottom