Largest Wind Farm Built At Once In North America Now Running In Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Renewable energy sources (solar, wind, hydroelectric) only makes up something like 29% of the electricity globally, and 16.8% of it is hydroelectric, thus, solar and wind make up a whopping total of 12.2% of the globes electricity.

Renewable Energy - Center for Climate and Energy Solutions

That seems to be based on numbers up to and including the year 2020. I wonder just how many wind towers were built in the last year and 4 months? Probably not enough to make a difference.

If wind and solar are the future, how long will it take them to get the world to a "reasonable" amount of capacity to benefit anyone?
Well said

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not even notice a link but I do agree that modern nuclear is the best bet. Especially if they keep pushing electric cars. That will be the only way to produce enough power to run them. Wind and solar will never do it. I am wondering about the new air independent hydrogen engines they are putting in modern subs. Could they be a source of clean, reliable energy?
But fusion, not fission. It's going to happen.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...or-broke-record-for-nuclear-fusion-180979336/

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christ...ort-tallies-up-the-carbon-cost-of-renewables/
“Good news: amortizing the carbon cost over the decades-long lifespan of the equipment, Bernstein determined that wind power has a carbon footprint 99% less than coal-fired power plants, 98% less than natural gas, and a surprise 75% less than solar. More specifically, they figure that wind turbines average just 11 grams of CO2 emission per kilowatthour of electricity generated. That compares with 44 g/kwh for solar, 450 g for natural gas, and a whopping 1,000 g for coal.

But beating them all is the original large-scale zero-carbon power source, nuclear power, at 9 g/kwh.

Thanks to technology, these stats aren’t static. Offshore wind turbines are becoming enormous, with General Electric’s GE -2.9% Haliade X featuring blades 360 feet long and generating 14 megawatts. The carbon footprint of such monsters could get as low as 6 g/kwh. “

-and just where are all of these mega watts going, not in OK. And what about the billions of $ in tax write offs and subsidies funded by Americans like us. Remember when Texas froze to death last year when the wind turbines failed and froze themselves, yea, that's the ticket, lets buy more wind shi* for powering up the criminal bankers bank accounts.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Niagara Falls is about the only green power I've seen.

This is the Canadian view looking east.

niagara falls.gif

Kent Stephenson

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The largest wind farm built at once in North America is now running in Oklahoma. Public Service Company of Oklahoma said the hundreds of turbines are part of its efforts to increase renewable energy and save money for its customers.

PSO said the newest wind farm, combined with the two others that recently opened in Central Oklahoma, will save customers about $1 billion over the farms' 30-year lifetime.

PSO and its parent company, American Electric Power, are taking advantage of Oklahoma's winds. The North Central Energy Facilities, which are made up of the Sundance, Maverick and Traverse wind farms, are in Central Oklahoma. The latest wind farm, Traverse, which opened last month in Blaine and Custer Counties, has 356 turbines.

"We've won over a lot of people on this one,” said Wayne Greene, PSO spokesman. “We're going to produce an enormous amount of jobs, economic activity and ad valorem tax payments, so we're making friends out there."

Greene said some employees who worked at coal plants transitioned to the wind farms. He also said the Traverse Wind Farm produces enough energy to power 440,000 homes a day.

"We're being good stewards of the earth by producing natural energy that does not pollute in its creation,” said Greene. “At the same time, we're being good stewards of our customers' pocketbook quite frankly."

When News On 6 asked about risks to wildlife, AEP said it follows all laws and works with public and private groups to protect animals both in its location choices and operations.

AEP’s EVP and chief operating officer, Lisa Barton, said these wind farms are critical in flipping the company's energy mix from 70% fossil fuels to 70% renewable energy by 2031. "We are going to sequentially and consistently move to a clean energy economy by harnessing the power of wind and bringing that benefit to our customers," said Barton.

PSO said it is Oklahoma energy produced for Oklahoma customers. Through the PSO Wind Choice program, customers can buy up to 100-percent of their power from wind sources.

http://www.newson6.com/story/62631d...once-in-north-america-now-running-in-oklahoma
I wondered what was killing all the hawks. Never see them anymore. Wind farms suck!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much diesel was used to dig this hole, make the concrete, make the steel? That doesn’t include making the blades and mast or assembling them.

I'm pretty sure that if you take out the .gov handouts these would dry up immediately. What does that cost just in construction costs to get it erected?

I can't fathom that it would ever pay back the investment on it's own after adding in the cost of the turbine itself, transport, and the ongoing maintenance which is substantial. They have a very specialized and souped up synthetic gear oil in the gearbox and even that doesn't hold up very well to the load. They have to completely swap out the gearbox every couple of years (if they are lucky) and I don't even know how many oil changes they do at about 80 gallons apiece before they have to rebuild them. To do that requires the cranes all over again. Green and clean? LOL....

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't really answer the question. I remember (one of) the largest wind "farms" back in the day, the Altamont, and the turbines never operating. They shut them down because of the birds flying into the blades.

Also, they have a problem with the blades because they can't be recycled.

Best of luck, regardless.
Just plane ol common sense tells me, any bird that is so dumb they can't avoid a wind turbine blade, as slow as they move, won't survive long anyway, RIGHT?

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered what was killing all the hawks. Never see them anymore. Wind farms suck!
Wind Farms killing hawks capable of flying near 100 mph, and so agile they can catch other birds on the wing, is about as true as pipelines being more dangerous than transporting petroleum products by rail tank cars, or transport tanker trucks, or that OPEC will take care of us if we allow them to set world oil prices, like Biden did on day one in office!! That is all just left wing propaganda! Do you think paying $4.00 per gal for gasoline now, and $5.00/$6.00 per gal;. by this summer is helping the environment, or is that just mind control so we peions won't riot? THINK FOR YOURSELF! Bench mark Crude was $34.00 bbl on election day 2020, today it's $104.00 bbl, by labor day this summer, it will be $150.00/$200.00 bbl. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom