Largest Wind Farm Built At Once In North America Now Running In Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just plane ol common sense tells me, any bird that is so dumb they can't avoid a wind turbine blade, as slow as they move, won't survive long anyway, RIGHT?
I won't discuss the common sense and "as slow as they move" comment. I will just share a link that shows how fast they can be moving.

From the article link.
"Regular turbines comfortably achieve speeds of 100mph, larger styles with heavier blades, reach speeds of 180mph."

https://energyfollower.com/how-fast-do-wind-turbines-spin/

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just plane ol common sense tells me, any bird that is so dumb they can't avoid a wind turbine blade, as slow as they move, won't survive long anyway, RIGHT?

Not necessarily. For some reason, I recall a story about how it is at the tip of one of those blades as it passes through the air that it is going fast enough to literally suck the air from a bird's lungs if they are close enough. In which case, maybe it is "just the fall" that kills them?

Oops...

...looks like Bassin might have just given more evidence than my statement alone.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
-and just where are all of these mega watts going, not in OK. And what about the billions of $ in tax write offs and subsidies funded by Americans like us. Remember when Texas froze to death last year when the wind turbines failed and froze themselves, yea, that's the ticket, lets buy more wind shi* for powering up the criminal bankers bank accounts.​

Did you really fall for that bag of horse manure about windmills freezing up being the reason why people died?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/

An official with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said Tuesday afternoon that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, were offline. Nearly double that, 30 gigawatts, had been lost from thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy.

By Wednesday, those numbers had changed as more operators struggled to operate in the cold: 45 gigawatts total were offline, with 28 gigawats from thermal sources and 18 gigawatts from renewable sources, ERCOT officials said.

“Texas is a gas state,” said Michael Webber, an energy resources professor at the University of Texas at Austin.”

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-and just where are all of these mega watts going, not in OK. And what about the billions of $ in tax write offs and subsidies funded by Americans like us. Remember when Texas froze to death last year when the wind turbines failed and froze themselves, yea, that's the ticket, lets buy more wind shi* for powering up the criminal bankers bank accounts.​
In their 20-25 year lifespan, wind turbine/towers will not produce the energy it takes to manufacture one. The federal government provided 85% of the cost of the wind towers or there wouldn’t be any. The whole rotten thing is a thank you to the green weenies that helped elect Biden, just like the hoax of ethanol gasoline. It takes more than a gallon’s worth of energy to make a gallon of ethanol. Another kiss blown at the tree huggers.

ozinok

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
In their 20-25 year lifespan, wind turbine/towers will not produce the energy it takes to manufacture one.
Not true ... even without subsidies, and at current energy wholesale prices, the payback is typically in the 3-4yr range ...

The federal government provided 85% of the cost of the wind towers or there wouldn’t be any.
Not true, maybe 25-30 yrs ago but definitely not today

... and no, I am not a green tree hugger and/or a liberal leftist ... I am just a conservative that knows the business

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not true ... even without subsidies, and at current energy wholesale prices, the payback is typically in the 3-4yr range ...

... and no, I am not a green tree hugger and/or a liberal leftist ... I am just a conservative that knows the business
Can you tell us if it is true that maintenance and overhaul schedules have had to be greatly increased and performed much sooner than originally planned? I’m hearing 10 yr maintenance needing to be performed at year 3-4 now. I don’t know if it’s true or not, just what I’ve heard.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wind Farms killing hawks capable of flying near 100 mph, and so agile they can catch other birds on the wing, is about as true as pipelines being more dangerous than transporting petroleum products by rail tank cars, or transport tanker trucks, or that OPEC will take care of us if we allow them to set world oil prices, like Biden did on day one in office!! That is all just left wing propaganda! Do you think paying $4.00 per gal for gasoline now, and $5.00/$6.00 per gal;. by this summer is helping the environment, or is that just mind control so we peions won't riot? THINK FOR YOURSELF! Bench mark Crude was $34.00 bbl on election day 2020, today it's $104.00 bbl, by labor day this summer, it will be $150.00/$200.00 bbl. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
what is the tip speed of a large wind turbine?

ozinok

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Can you tell us if it is true that maintenance and overhaul schedules have had to be greatly increased and performed much sooner than originally planned? I’m hearing 10 yr maintenance needing to be performed at year 3-4 now. I don’t know if it’s true or not, just what I’ve heard.
I don't know but will find out for you in a day or two, i assume you mean on gearbox and pitch system overhauls ... things have changed significantly in the past 5-10 years ... most newer turbines don't even have gear trains anymore and are direct drive generators, electrical converters take care of voltage and frequency conversion to the grid

ozinok

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
what is the tip speed of a large wind turbine?
I would expect the tip to be in the range of 100-150mph in normal operation ... it is totally dependent upon the blade length, turbine type and wind speed
Most bird/bat kill is/was with the older high speed rotor types, found mostly in California. It happens with all turbines but significantly less with newer low speed, large radius blade systems

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good then we can stop the subsidies. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom