Laser Eye Surgery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Medical terms are weird sometimes. I had a "shoulder manipulation" where basically they put you under general anesthesia, then move your arm all around to break up scar tissue in the ligaments. It's glorified stretching that would be too painful if you're awake. Insurance considered it "surgery".

I did too. Dr was a damn quack. Woke up in recovery in all kinds of pain. Damn idiot wouldn't give me anything for awhile. Never went back, had shoulder surgery that fixed rotator cuff.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
@pstmstr: Let me clarify my previous post. You mentioned cataracts, and that's what I thought you were referring to.

My wife had problems with her cataract surgery.

Sorry. :drunk2:

Yeah, I’m leaning towards no at this point. It would be a lens replacement for $13k so I think I’ll wait until Medicare to cover at least part of it for cataract correction. They aren’t bad enough yet to qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m leaning towards no at this point. It would be a lens replacement for $13k so I think I’ll wait until Medicare to cover at least part of it for cataract correction. They aren’t bad enough yet to qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is the way to do it. When I had my cataract surgery back in 2013, I was at the point that my optometrist could only correct my vision from 20/400 to 20/25, and he said the cataract surgery would be needed by the next year. He referred me to Southwest Eye Clinic and Dr. David Mallory. (Yes, his name is a link to a description of the doctors at Southwest Eye Clinic.) If you read his biography there, you will see that he was one of the "pioneers" in the SW United States for these surgeries.

I was particular with my eyes and what I would end up with, so the consultation with Dr. Mallory was beneficial to me. I have astigmatism, so I kind of needed a special lens, but ended up with two special lenses. While Medicare took care of the surgery, I did have to spring for the lenses. Left eye is for distance and the right eye is for close-up. The right eye is clear out to about 5 to 7 feet and the left even further. However, even with such diverse focusing, the brain makes it seem like there is no blurriness at all.

I do have prescription glasses; one for driving at night when I have to really be able to see street signs (which is pretty rare) and one pair for shooting. ( I do need to see the target with that right eye that only wants to focus out several feet. I do have to use reading glasses on occasion, but the print that I'm trying to read has to be pretty small. I've worn glasses ever since I was a kid. I can't even remember how old I was when I got my first pair. Now, it is a huge blessing to be able to see clearly.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I had LASIK done 10 years ago, I was 48 at the time and had been near sighted and wearing glasses since 5th grade. At about 45 I was losing the ability to see up with the glasses on and went to bifocals. I had been able to read with no glasses but that was also going away, pretty much normal aging of the eye. I had the LASIK done and could see better than 20/20 after words but needed readers for close work and reading.But, I could see iron sights!
I experienced the typical side effects, dry eyes, halos around lights at night... They all faded to insignificance within a few months.
I have gotten by with drug store readers ever since. I have one magnification that I carry for day to day needs and some stronger ones that I keep for doing close, delicate work. I also have multiple pairs of safety glasses with reader bifocals that are scattered around the shop and about anyplace I might need them.

My wife teases me that I only got it done so that I could wear the "cool" sunglasses.
If I had it to do over again I would do it in a heartbeat.

The last several years the near vision has gotten to where I could no longer see iron sights clearly. I read a post on another shooting forum that turned me on to lower power readers. I have a set of .5X safety readers that allows me to see sights and target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom