Laser Eye Surgery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll always need glasses for the close up stuff, unless...I saw where my ophthalmologist is doing a cataract procedure that I never heard of. (I have the small ones that don't need attention yet, as well) He removes the lens, breaks up the cataracts, sucks them out, and replaces the lens with a corrected crystal lens. That, as I understand it, can be bifocal. I can't begin to imagine the cost. My insurance won't even cover the dry eye meds or procedures that help.

My late Mom had that done by her eye ophthalmologist in his Moore office. Couldn't get all the pieces out. We had to take her to an eye surgeon at Integris Baptist to have emergency eye surgery. Her ins pd for some of it. It wasn't cheap.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Year and a half ago got it done. My regular eye doctor told me I needed it. We talk about what I wanted. I told him I wanted to be able shoot using irons sights. He told me I already had one eye seeing close and the other seeing far. Said I should be able to see rifle sight better right eyed and pistol sights better left eyed. I am left handed and do just that pistol left, rifle right.

He told me If I requested right eye correction for long vision and left eye correction for close, it would cost me extra money. If he sent over a standard prescription for basic correction of each eye as is, it would be the base price. That is standard correction for my left eye (already seeing close) to allow me to continue seeing close and standard correction for my right eye (already seeing far) to allow me to continue seeing far.

The last thing I asked my eye doctor was who would he go to. I told him who my wife used. He sent me elsewhere.

My Eye doctor also told me that I may or may not need glasses to read after the procedure. He said buy a set of cheap reading glasses at Walmart if you need them. He said wait a year after the procedure and come in for an eye check up. This advice was repeated by the Cataract surgeon.

After the procedure, I have not had a needed glasses at all. I see gunsights just fine, read just fine, no glasses.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that is an eye doctor and he told me that the cheap laser surgery like on tv ,stay away from. He said most of them use older outdated machines that don't compare to the newer machines known eye doctors use.
Dr. Wise told me that the horror stories you hear about LASIK almost all come from it being performed by a technician rather than an MD. At the time, LASIK was not considered to be a surgical procedure in Oklahoma, so you didn’t have to have it done by an actual doctor, and a lot of those sorts of places used techs instead.

I found it highly ironic that, at the time, cutting on your eyeballs was not considered surgery, but having a tattoo done was.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dr. Wise told me that the horror stories you hear about LASIK almost all come from it being performed by a technician rather than an MD. At the time, LASIK was not considered to be a surgical procedure in Oklahoma, so you didn’t have to have it done by an actual doctor, and a lot of those sorts of places used techs instead.

I found it highly ironic that, at the time, cutting on your eyeballs was not considered surgery, but having a tattoo done was.

I've heard that as well. I've also heard the horror stories and dissatisfied customers resulted from poor expectation management and accepting less than ideal candidates.

Not everyone is a good candidate for a successful outcome. There are physical characteristics/standards involved that make some more likely to have a great outcome. Some practitioners were accepting patients on the margins of those standards (more patients, more money right?) and folks were coming out with less than 20/20 or other issues.

When the military started doing it, your eyes had to be prime candidates for successful correction or you were rejected as a patient.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've only known one person that had Lasik (by a Tech.) and his vision was worse off than before he had it done.....cloudy vision.

He went back for a second surgery and it turned out a little better but it never has been right and he's sorry he had it done.

I'd also highly recommend a appointment with Dr. Kimberly Wise in Norman prior to any surgery for an evaluation......she did cataract surgery on me last summer and I'm completely satisfied with the outcome.

Last edited:

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had R K done in about 1984 worked great . Had cataract done in 2019 when I was 77 . Could see distance & no readers . Had to get readers mid 2020. South West Eye did a great job .

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m 64, can’t see much of anything close up and slight distance correction with glasses. I also have very small cataracts starting. I’ve done a little research and have an evaluation appointment next Wed at Clearsight. My goal is to completely eliminate the need for glasses forever. Anyone had this done and would you recommend it?
Use a doctor that friends have used with good results. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!

I told Sweetie to do that, and thought she had. But it turned out that she got another doctor in the same clinic.

She had to rush back a few days after the second eye surgery to have a leaking vessel repaired, and wound up with a PERMANENT horseshoe shaped dark area around the vision in her right eye. Her surgery was around 7 years ago.

She's been pretty much blind for over a year now, but I suspect it's mostly a result of the advanced Alzheimer's.

Good luck. :drunk2:

EDIT: To clarify, my wife had CATARACT surgery, not lasik. Sorry.

This is what I get for trying to multitask... :hithead:

Last edited:

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been wearing glasses since the Johnson administration, so have Always wanted too, but chickened out more than once. Have cataracts but not bad enough for lens replacement. Maybe next year.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your refractive error is not within the perimeters, they say you’re it a candidate. Meaning my cylinder is +4.00 (astigmatism) I am not a candidate for LASIK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom