Laser Eye Surgery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. If I have to use reading glasses I’d just as soon wear glasses all the time. I’ll get a couple of opinions and go from there. My night vision is getting noticeably worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the ilasik done about 4 years ago. Due to eye infections, scar tissue had built up and I didn’t want to wear glasses all the time. So, I did it. It was relatively quick process from evaluating to “surgery” and the cost was like $3200 or so. They did say within 4-5 years they could tell I would need reading glasses, but they said that is very common.
I do wear sunglasses constantly if it’s daytime outside and I have some blue tint safety glasses I wear inside for computers or night driving due to oncoming glare of headlights.
Being under the machine and getting it done is intense. It doesn’t hurt but feels like a tremendous amount of pressure. When they are done it feels like millions of tiny sand particles are in your eyes because you’ve been on the beach for weeks without a break. My eyes pretty much swelled shut. I had mine done on a Friday afternoon. You are not supposed to look at a screen, drive, watch tv (don’t know how you could have), then you just go home and sleep. Took some meds and 3-4 beers and a couple hours later I was out. Woke up Saturday morning and had to peel my eye lids open, but could see very clearly. Of course, there is irritation and dryness, but just keep using the drops. After a few weeks, no drops even needed unless the eyes are dry.
Would I do it again? Absolutely. In fact, we are looking at getting the wife’s eyes done in a couple months. It’s nice being able to get up in the night or the morning and not worry about finding glasses or going to be bed hoping you didn’t run out of contact solution.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had ophthalmologists try to sell me on the procedure several times over the years, but I’m quite pleased with my contacts and have no desire to have my healthy eyes cut on. I don’t need reading glasses either as I have bifocal contacts.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Lasik yes, both me and my wife about 12y years ago. Money well spent, but over the last three years or so we've needed readers as expected. You'll need lens replacement with what you described i would imagine and not Lasik.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had PRK done in the military over 15 years ago and still see better than 20/20 at distance. Zero complications. For the last few years I’ve had to start using reading glasses for up close work but that’s a natural part of aging.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a lot to add to this topic, other than thank you for it. It's something that I'm looking into as well. I noticed things starting to get fuzzy when I hit 40; I attribute it to way too much time in front of a computer and looking through a microscope.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had lasik done in 06-07 time frame, best money I’ve spent! Doc said most people will need reading glasses by the time they hit 50. I’m good with that, approximately 30 years of no glasses or contacts was appealing to me. I was blind as a bat, couldn’t see anything clearly past about 16”. Had the procedure and the next morning I remember seeing the alarm clock clearly( which I couldn’t really ever remember)

Latest posts

Top Bottom