Last Advanced Combat Pistol Level I of the year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so...
If I read right - 1500 rounds!?. Not sure a month is enough time to come up with that much! Which brings me to the next question. What should I consider when picking a gun to use? Recommendations?

Marshall usually has 9mm for sale during the class. Prices were very reasonable too. As much as I love my Series 70 Colt I would not bring a 1911.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been planning to take the competition pistol course that is listed on your web page but I dont see any upcoming dates for the course. So I am considering taking this course instead. How do the two courses differ from each other. My main goal is to get to the "Olyeller" level and above in IPSC shooting world but a little defensive pistol training wouldn't hurt either.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been planning to take the competition pistol course that is listed on your web page but I dont see any upcoming dates for the course. So I am considering taking this course instead. How do the two courses differ from each other. My main goal is to get to the "Olyeller" level and above in IPSC shooting world but a little defensive pistol training wouldn't hurt either.

Not to speak for Marshall here but I have attended both of those classes this year. I went to Competition Pistol in April and ACP1 in June. The two course were complimentary in nature as they both reinforced the basic principles of trigger control, sight alignment, grip, as well as many other techniques. Competition Pistol spent time going over stages and we ran through multiple "pieces" of stages and then at the end put it all together while ACP1 was stationary. That was the biggest difference in my mind. You get mucho trigger time in both classes with close instruction (almost one on one) in every stage. IMHO you can't go wrong with ACP1 if you want to grow up and be like Mike :)

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Thats flattering, Jesse. Even though there are better shooters out there to strive to emulate, hopefully I can improve my skills enough to make it a worthy goal for you.
I sense you are making a change in going from a equipment chase (now that you have good solid gear) to soaking up the knowledge and getting work on your technique and skills. Good for you; youre making all the right moves.
Add some personal committment to it and you will be pleased with your rate of progress.

You should sign up for this class; its going to be a blast! Theres more than a few OSA regulars coming. Not sure how many spots are left, though.

Marshall Luton

Defensive Shooting Academy
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll make it easy for you. You can't take the Competition Pistol Class with us anymore until you have taken the AP I. We have found that it holds people back that have been thru the AP I so we have made this a pre-rec for the Competition Pistol Course. That class is only held once maybe twice a year. We try to do it in the beginning of the shooting season so people who are thinking about competing in either IDPA or USPSA can have a fighting chance with out getting all pissed off at themselves. The Competition Pistol Class is learning how to play a game. The AP I is about learning life-saving skills that you can use in these games if you wish. But the fundamental difference is you have to have the skill set to be able to perform during the competition class and you can't get that unless you take the AP I. There you have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom