Last Time You Fired A Shot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha, my first deer rifle was a lefty Remington BDL in 270WIN and I had the O/U style scope rings so I can use open sights or the scope depending on cheek weld. I have been window shopping a good lower magnification scope to put on it with shorter scope rings. Id like to carry it again.

When we went to pick it out for my birthday, there were two left handed bolt actions in stock. This one and another BDL in 7mmMag. I really enjoy this rifle, but I wonder if I really saved my shoulder much abuse over the magnum round haha.
I’ve shot a few 7 mags but never owned one. I’m going to say you definitely made the right caliber choice. I’ve owned a bunch of 270’s over my shooting/hunting life, and none kick like this little Ruger. I think the recoil issue with it is two fold. First, it’s an Ultralite, and second, I think has to do with the Ruger stock design. My pre64 Winchester featherweight 270 is a pleasure to shoot as is both my kid’s Encores. Heck, I had a 470 Nitro Express double rifle that wasn’t as abusive as the little Ruger.

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today...

IMG_20221202_111556281.jpg
VID_20221202_115146978_exported_20166.jpg

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve shot a few 7 mags but never owned one. I’m going to say you definitely made the right caliber choice. I’ve owned a bunch of 270’s over my shooting/hunting life, and none kick like this little Ruger. I think the recoil issue with it is two fold. First, it’s an Ultralite, and second, I think has to do with the Ruger stock design. My pre64 Winchester featherweight 270 is a pleasure to shoot as is both my kid’s Encores. Heck, I had a 470 Nitro Express double rifle that wasn’t as abusive as the little Ruger.
Just looking at your Ruger it looks like that kickpad is harder than the hubs of hell. My xwife had a Ruger M77 in .270 that was ashooter and didnt kick you to death.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just looking at your Ruger it looks like that kickpad is harder than the hubs of hell. My xwife had a Ruger M77 in .270 that was ashooter and didnt kick you to death.
Yeah, the old red pads are more cosmetic than for recoil reduction. I used a slip on Limbsaver for a while, but it got ”gummy” like the first gen Limbsavers were prone to do. I just never replaced it.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha, my first deer rifle was a lefty Remington BDL in 270WIN and I had the O/U style scope rings so I can use open sights or the scope depending on cheek weld. I have been window shopping a good lower magnification scope to put on it with shorter scope rings. Id like to carry it again.

When we went to pick it out for my birthday, there were two left handed bolt actions in stock. This one and another BDL in 7mmMag. I really enjoy this rifle, but I wonder if I really saved my shoulder much abuse over the magnum round haha.

I have a 1967 Vintage Winchester Model 70 in 270 with a 22 inch barrel and it's a fairly svelte rifle for a non feather weight gun. It has in my estimate a more snappy recoil than my 7mm mag Colt Sauer . It's snappy enough in an 8 pound gun (that includes the scope and sling) that I usually won't hunt with it unless I am planning on walking a bunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom