Last time your child made you proud.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
There’s never a second of any day I’m not proud of my child.

This is 100% true. But there are times or actions that emphasize it.

Like when he shows his little brother how to pray. Or wraps his arms around him to keep him safe from rolling off the bed. Or when he uses a hammer for the first time. Or when he says “Daddy, I’m sorry!” after grabbing a tool from my hand.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple of daughters and they make me proud so often..they’re both so much smarter and more put together than I was at their age! I was a raging mess from 14 I guess to my mid 30s, lol. Sometimes I wonder where these kids came from!
My oldest came back today from a trip to New Mexico with her boyfriend and some of his family, brought everyone back gifts. She’s a generous kid! I got some fresh roasted coffee and a cup from Angel Fire, she knows her dad!
My youngest goes out of her way to include kids that are introverted, makes sure they feel welcome and comfortable. Always happy to see that.
Maybe it’s because I grew up in a small redneck town around a bunch of rowdy boys mostly...I’m just constantly surprised by how sweet these girls are!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two sons that I'm proud of.
They have made me proud of them through their entire lives. In grade school, with the parents jobs, they had to wake up, get ready for school then walk 1/2 mile to school and another 1/2 mile back home every day. They had discipline applied when needed.
In high school, the oldest had to ride a bicycle two miles to school when his camaro was grounded for infractions more than once.
Oldest was state champion three wheeler youth class for Ok for 3 years. Currently into Martial arts competition at the age of 50 with a double black belt teaching classes. Three grandkids was his greatest contribution along with a Daughter In law that has become family.
Youngest was paralyzed in an accident 13 years ago. Incomplete quad with use of his arms, but not hands, feeling from the nipple's up, nothing below.
On his own, refusing help he bought his own home by saving his disability money, living cheap with his mom, paying rent to her to live there as our home was not ADA. I wouldn't have charged rent.....long story.
He has paid off his home now with some help from family living free.
That's our story.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We need to hear that hero's story!
Well a few pertinent details before getting into the story: Remember the weather, snowed north of us, locally heavy rain New Years Eve. I'm a poor swimmer. We always wear PFDs while in the boat,, but take them off prior to shooting, as they get in the way. My son and I absolutely love duck hunting, and last year was a very poor year.

With the snow north of us, we hoped it would push some ducks down on the river, so even though the water was up and absolutely rolling (full trees were uprooted and floating down!) we hoped to finally shoot ducks. We set up at the mouth of an oxbow (basically a creek dumping into the main channel) that we had hunted numerous times before. Normally it's only a couple of feet deep, but with all the rain we had to set the decoys from the boat.

So, legal shooting time comes, and we find every time a limb comes floating down the oxbow, it tries to take a decoy or 2 with it out into the channel, so we were carefully taking turns wading out, generally to nearly the top of our waders, and retrieving them, tossing them back upstream. Temperature are mid-thirties, not bad for New Years.

So, we're watching the skies for ducks that never materialized, when a barge came down the river. Barges displace so much water, they always suck decoys out towards the channel. We knew if they went out in the main river, with the way it was rolling, we would potentially lose them. So, I jumped up and started wading out, as I had previously, to try and catch them. My son, being smarter than I, headed for the boat, which is beached 75 yards up the oxbow. I'm wading slowly, carefully placing my feet so I don't step in a hole, but what I didn't count on was the increased current from the barge! It suddenly sweeps my feet out from under me, now I'm out in the channel (20+ ft deep), my waders are full of water and I'm desperately trying to keep my head above water! I try yelling for my son, but mostly just trying to not drown, but I'm tiring fast, swimming (or flailing) with waders full of water is very difficult.

Suddenly my son pulls up along side of me with the boat (he had the presence of mind to come in at a reasonable speed, so he didn't swamp me). I clamp on to the side of the boat with what strength I had left and he drags me to dry ground. Then he tosses me the dry bag we keep in the boat and I pull on dry clothes. Meanwhile, he quickly picks up all our gear (decoys, guns, bags and blind netting). By the time I get changed, he's back, with a dry blanket out to wrap me up in. He then drives us back to the ramp (having to pass the damn barge on the way!)

There's no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't have made it without him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom