law change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To piggyback on this question, during a traffic stop, when is a good time to bring up that you have a valid SDA license and there's a loaded pistol in the center console?

Myself, and a few of my friends have run into a conundrum where the following happens:

1. Vehicle pulled over to the side, engine off, window rolled down, both hands on steering wheel
2. LEO walks up and begins the script: "do you know why I pulled you over?" (or whatever else, the point being the LEO starts the conversation)
3. I answer the question, and then the LEO requests my info (DL, insurance, etc)
4. I now have time to say something that is not a response to the LEO's question. I mention my SDA and the pistol.
5. LEO becomes agitated and says "next time you need to tell me right away that you have a pistol!"
6. Traffic stop resumes

It's almost like as soon as I see the LEO walking to me I'm supposed to speak first and yell out "I GOT A GUN!" (which I would never do, but lol).

Do you get what I mean? The LEO is running off a script where he wants to talk first, but apparently LEO want us SDAers to talk first? At the risk of coming off as disrepectful and getting a citation instead of a verbal warning?

Maybe this happens at a slower pace for you guys living out in the rural areas and you can chit chat first, but traffic stops in the metro tend to be quick and off the script so it doesn't seem like there's a good way to mention you're armed without interrupting the LEO.
I don't know if it's a "gotcha" question but I've seen it several times. I have a lead foot, and have experienced it on a couple of stops and while being the innocent in a traffic accident.
The HP trooper walks up and in an "authoritative voice" announces "have you been drinking" with a 20 MPH wind to his back 10' from the window where there is no way possible anyone could smell that if actually guilty on a traffic stop with my wife driving that doesn't drink at 9am.
I was in an accident where I was rear ended by a person on a highway pulling a farm disk with the proper slow moving vehicle sign.
When the trooper pulled up to the scene a few minutes later, the first thing he asked the driver of the vehicle that hit us was if he had been drinking. He wasn't. There was a bag of cheetos, a cell phone and a map on the drivers floor board when the trooper pulled up so we all know what the issue was. We were doing 15MPH, he was doing 70 MPH when rear ending us. Quite the impact but no injuries.
I believe it's a psychological method to put someone ill at ease, make them defensive and see where it ends up.
There may be merit to that tactic, or not. I don't know.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would assume they ask that so if they prove that you have been they can add another charge of lying to a law enforcement officer to you, but im just assuming and you know what they say about assuming 99.9% of the time your wrong.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont ask, dont tell.

If they ask I tell em, if they dont ask then I am not telling. Its not going to be seen anyway, and its not located near where I keep insurance and registration.

Back when notification was mandatory, then both licenses would handed over as well as a verbal per oklahoma law I am informing you I have a weapon and heres my license.
Only got to say that twice, both times at road blocks, both times all parties left on good terms and went home safe, including the dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom