law change?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the CCW app on my phone - the one with the pistol over the America Flag. For Oklahoma it was always "Duty to Inform Officer: Yes now it is No - did it change?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the CCW app on my phone - the one with the pistol over the America Flag. For Oklahoma it was always "Duty to Inform Officer: Yes now it is No - did it change?

Changed with the switch to constitutional carry. Personally, I still inform the officer. Last thing you want is to surprise an officer in the middle of a traffic stop.....

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be required upon the demand of the law enforcement officer. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee or as lawfully in possession of any other firearm if the law enforcement officer does not demand the information. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violator of the provisions of this subsection may be issued a citation for an amount not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).

Possession of License Required - Notification to Police of Gun (oscn.net)

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To piggyback on this question, during a traffic stop, when is a good time to bring up that you have a valid SDA license and there's a loaded pistol in the center console?

Myself, and a few of my friends have run into a conundrum where the following happens:

1. Vehicle pulled over to the side, engine off, window rolled down, both hands on steering wheel
2. LEO walks up and begins the script: "do you know why I pulled you over?" (or whatever else, the point being the LEO starts the conversation)
3. I answer the question, and then the LEO requests my info (DL, insurance, etc)
4. I now have time to say something that is not a response to the LEO's question. I mention my SDA and the pistol.
5. LEO becomes agitated and says "next time you need to tell me right away that you have a pistol!"
6. Traffic stop resumes

It's almost like as soon as I see the LEO walking to me I'm supposed to speak first and yell out "I GOT A GUN!" (which I would never do, but lol).

Do you get what I mean? The LEO is running off a script where he wants to talk first, but apparently LEO want us SDAers to talk first? At the risk of coming off as disrepectful and getting a citation instead of a verbal warning?

Maybe this happens at a slower pace for you guys living out in the rural areas and you can chit chat first, but traffic stops in the metro tend to be quick and off the script so it doesn't seem like there's a good way to mention you're armed without interrupting the LEO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom