Lawn mower issues . . . any small engine mechanics here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last Thursday I replaced the starter on my almost 13 year old Cub Cadet LT1050. The day I replaced it the mower kicked off and started perfectly. So I parked it and haven't messed with it until today. Now the goofy thing won't even turn over. I can hear the starter solenoid kick up the starter gear but it won't crank. Did the starter already go bad on me?

It has new spark plugs . . . battery is fully charged . . . fuel line isn't clogged.

We used our itty-bitty push mower last week after the starter went out and I'm not interested in doing that again. :)

What am I missing? I feel like I've check everything, but thought I'd see if anyone can think of something else.

I was just bragging on the mower to my dad and one of my brothers the other day. Ugh.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen batteries that were fully charged but s soon as you put a load on them the voltage dropped well below 9 volts and the engine would not turn over.
Make sure the engine is not locked up..You usually can turn the top of a lawnmower engine with your hand.
Hook jumper cables from a vehicle or another good battery to the mower battery cables and see if the starter spins.

If you can get to the positive lug on the starter you can hook the jumper cable ground to the engine block or mower frame and touch the positive lead to that positive lug..It should spin the starter.

Yes a new starter can fail as can many new parts.
Cables and solenoid can fail also.

If it does not spin with the jumper cables then tap on it with a hammer and retry.
If it starts then get to mowing.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
And yes, it’s possible that the battery is bad. I’m having random thoughts here. Could be many things, even the pto itself

Latest posts

Top Bottom