lead bullet cartridges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on categorizing my bullet collection. What is the name for the full lead bullet? When I was a reserve cop we just called them "Wad cutters", I'm sure this is not the right name.

I have categories of FMJ, JHP, HP, and Wad cutter, but really want to name it correctly. They would be the ones in the pictures, except for the brass colored one.
09-01-10-04-cartridges.jpg
38sw.jpg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know how accurate i am but the first one i would say is a rnfp (round nose flat point) the second one is a semi wadcutter and the last one is a round nose.
And please someone correct me.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I concur with @D. Hargrove!

When categorizing, I usually denote cast lead rounds with an "L" in front of the description, vs "J" for jacketed, "P" for plated, and "C" for coated.

IE:

jacketed hollow point = JHP
jacketed soft point = JSP

lead semi-wadcutter = LSWC
lead round nose flat point = LRNFP

plated hollow point = PHP
plated semi-wadcutter = PSWC

etc.

FMJ being the exception = Full Metal Jacket, which would otherwise be jacketed round nose = JRN, but no one knows them by that description

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not bet on it DRC458 I have used pure lead in 357, 45acp and 45 colt for low power loads where I need the bullet to bump up quickly.
I have used hard lead for muzzleloader also.
And do not forget "Cast" would be poured into a mold and there are many swaged lead bullets and I wish sometimes I was around when the equipment for swaging was cheap.

I cast some wheel weight round balls and the weight was much lighter than pure lead and I added tin to them to go even harder.
Stuck a couple into an Oak tree and dug them out..barely dented on 1 side..I could have patched it and loaded again.
That was with 50gr pyrodex from a rifle.
Accuracy was only a little worse than pure lead..Probably needed to drop the charge a bit.

I have added silver to some bullets I made.
You never know when a Vampire will show up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom