Lead bullets through a suppressor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My concern would be if the bullet doesn't stabilize and ends up spinning out of control nicking the edge of the can. It can happen with any bullet if the lead isn't adhered to the jacket. I make bullets from 22lr cases and if speed is over 3200 fps the jacket will open in mid flight. Cast bullet can have voids in them that may not be caught by the caster which will make the bullet end up being a different weight and I bet some deformation of the bullet when it is shot which will effect how the bullet exits the rifled part of the barrel.

Thanks for the specific answer. What is your opinion on using store bought coated lead such as bayou bullets through a can?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
friend of mine tried his suppressor off his 338 on his .308 and said it reduced noise much better than many 308 cans he had.

So why not get one with an over sized hole. I think the holes are over bullet size by quite a bit anyway.
If you weighed the lead bullets you would know if it had a cavity in it.

I can shoot my 45acp fast enough to tumble right out of the barrel this would in fact destroy something.
Work the proper load in lead and test for tumble and I think you would be safe.
My bullets tumbled because pressures were too high along with velocity and the fact that lead is soft and it caused the bullet to push straight through the barrel instead of twist.
This is why you can push a gas checked bullet faster without negative issues.
The gas check is much harder than lead and bites into the grooves and keeps the soft lead spinning.

Basically.

Many say powder coating lead can be launched much faster than gas checked non coated.
I have not tried it ....yet :)

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
friend of mine tried his suppressor off his 338 on his .308 and said it reduced noise much better than many 308 cans he had.

So why not get one with an over sized hole. I think the holes are over bullet size by quite a bit anyway.
If you weighed the lead bullets you would know if it had a cavity in it.

I can shoot my 45acp fast enough to tumble right out of the barrel this would in fact destroy something.
Work the proper load in lead and test for tumble and I think you would be safe.
My bullets tumbled because pressures were too high along with velocity and the fact that lead is soft and it caused the bullet to push straight through the barrel instead of twist.
This is why you can push a gas checked bullet faster without negative issues.
The gas check is much harder than lead and bites into the grooves and keeps the soft lead spinning.

Basically.

Many say powder coating lead can be launched much faster than gas checked non coated.
I have not tried it ....yet :)

I can see a bullet not spinning fast enough being a problem such as a blackout shooting a 220gr bullet with not enough twist. That could be bad. That could happen no matter what the bullet is made of though. Of course the best case would be to choose a can larger than the projectile if one was worried about it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rimfire cans I've seen apart looked like they were flame sprayed with lead. Why? Because that's exactly what happens. The burning gasses vaporize a minute amount of lead from the base (mostly) and that goes out the end of the barrel with the bullet, only it likes to coat the inside of the suppressor since it catches most of it. You could use a gas checked bullet but I'd shoot plain lead before I did that. Gas checks can come off the base and I'd ruin a baffle stack sure as hell. If you want your suppressor to last and be as maintenance free as possible shoot FMJ that doesn't have any lead exposed at the base. Otherwise plan on tedious cleaning and very often.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The rimfire cans I've seen apart looked like they were flame sprayed with lead. Why? Because that's exactly what happens. The burning gasses vaporize a minute amount of lead from the base (mostly) and that goes out the end of the barrel with the bullet, only it likes to coat the inside of the suppressor since it catches most of it. You could use a gas checked bullet but I'd shoot plain lead before I did that. Gas checks can come off the base and I'd ruin a baffle stack sure as hell. If you want your suppressor to last and be as maintenance free as possible shoot FMJ that doesn't have any lead exposed at the base. Otherwise plan on tedious cleaning and very often.

Which brings up a point I don’t hear discussed. People talk about “shoot jacketed ONLY omgzorz!!!!!1!!” But I don’t see any mention 99% of the time about making sure it isn’t an exposed lead base. If the leading from cast lead bullets is primarily from the base, the wouldn’t an exposed lead base on a FMJ be nearly as bad?

If leading in a suppressor is worse with lead vs FMJ, then it’s either a chemistry/alloy difference, or it’s not from the base of the bullet. If it’s not from the base, it almost must be leading of the bore that is being redeposited from the bore to the can.

If that is the case, then if a coated bullet reduces leading of the bore it would also reduce leading of a can. A possible way of validating this would be with a muzzle brake with multiple ports. Run it with jacketed, plain lead, and coated lead.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interesting points. Especially about the jacketed with a lead base. Not that I'm sure it means a whole lot but ive recovered coated and plated bullets with all the coating or plating intact.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which brings up a point I don’t hear discussed. People talk about “shoot jacketed ONLY omgzorz!!!!!1!!” But I don’t see any mention 99% of the time about making sure it isn’t an exposed lead base. If the leading from cast lead bullets is primarily from the base, the wouldn’t an exposed lead base on a FMJ be nearly as bad?

If leading in a suppressor is worse with lead vs FMJ, then it’s either a chemistry/alloy difference, or it’s not from the base of the bullet. If it’s not from the base, it almost must be leading of the bore that is being redeposited from the bore to the can.

If that is the case, then if a coated bullet reduces leading of the bore it would also reduce leading of a can. A possible way of validating this would be with a muzzle brake with multiple ports. Run it with jacketed, plain lead, and coated lead.
USPSA open division shooters can probably answer these questions. Their comp gets crudded up and has to be cleaned. They don't shoot lead but I've a decent number shooting coated. Hmm...

Latest posts

Top Bottom