Lead for casting, in Layman’s terms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m very new to casting, had a couple molds given to me, I have a good amount of lead, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I still have a lot of research to do before I try to tackle this, but this is the biggest thing, and it’s driven me crazy today. The info is all out there and I’m sure is easy to understand to most of you, but it’s Greek to me. On hand, I have probably 150 lbs. of pure lead and around 100 lbs. in tire weights. My question is, can I cast bullets with pure lead? Pure tire weights? Is there something I need to add to one or both of them that is easily found? I’m wanting to pour up a bunch of ingots, so when I get days to cast, I can just toss some in and get after it. I live in a small town, so I’m limited to Walmart, Atwood’s, and Ace Hardware without having to drive that far, unless it’s something I could easily order from say Amazon.
Thank you for any advice.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on your tire weights. Check for zinc. They will make your life hell. Clip on tire weights are OK as is, stick-on are usually soft. The pure lead will need antimony and tin added unless you are shooting muzzle loaders. The tin makes your metal fill out the mold good, the antimony is where you get the hardness.

A good recipe is 92% Lead; 6% Antimony; 2% Tin.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on your tire weights. Check for zinc. They will make your life hell. Clip on tire weights are OK as is, stick-on are usually soft. The pure lead will need antimony and tin added unless you are shooting muzzle loaders. The tin makes your metal fill out the mold good, the antimony is where you get the hardness.

A good recipe is 92% Lead; 6% Antimony; 2% Tin.
With a quick google, I see raw Antimony sold my the pound, it’s pretty expensive unless a pound goes a long way. Surely with so many people casting their own there cheap ways to get the ingredients to make them. Are there common (really cheap) items that are antimony? By the same token, are there cheap every day items that work for the tin?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a quick google, I see raw Antimony sold my the pound, it’s pretty expensive unless a pound goes a long way. Surely with so many people casting their own there cheap ways to get the ingredients to make them. Are there common (really cheap) items that are antimony? By the same token, are there cheap every day items that work for the tin?
Well you are only using 0.96 lbs per 1 lb of bullet alloy, so 1 lb of antimony will make almost 16lbs of alloy.

Used to use 50/50 bar solder for tin. Don't know if they still sell it. That's how long it's been since I smelted my own alloy! You could also buy 92/6/2 alloy ready to cast but that doesn't help you use up what you have.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make and shoot hundreds of bullets from clip on wheel weights.
When i make ingots I keep the pure soft lead in ingots by itself.

Wheel weights that glue on or stick on can be soft or hard..I sort and do not mix.

Clip on wheel weights water quenched gas checked and Alox lubed I have shot to 1900 fps in 30-30 without any issues.
I have shot the same in 30-06 but 1400fps for a fun all day round that is like a fire cracker.

Talk more later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom