Lead versus Plated bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been studying up on load data for both .38 special, and .357 magnum. I am seeing different minimum and maximum loads for lead and plated bullets. So here’s the dumb question of the day. What is the difference in the two that changes load data? I mean besides the obvious? Thanks in advance.

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically what HiredHand said. Also, due to that friction, lead will tend to stick and smear onto the barrel. That is largely what gas checks were to prevent. I can load my 10mm auto at ~75% power using plated bullets. I stick below that for all lead. Berry's state they can go higher, but I could see they were starting to deform and leading when pushed. I think they'd be perfect for slower rounds like .45 acp.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also consider that the powder load for the extra velocity generates more heat. I made the mistake during my casting days of loading .357 too hot with bullets that were too soft. It takes a long time to get lead out of the rifling.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also consider that the powder load for the extra velocity generates more heat. I made the mistake during my casting days of loading .357 too hot with bullets that were too soft. It takes a long time to get lead out of the rifling.

I understand. I am assuming that based on this information leading shouldn’t be a problem for 38 or 357.

5FB0F77D-E6D0-45B4-BB3A-97364E50CDA1.png

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was back in the early days of my casting. I was using only wheel weights. After cleaning the lead out of my barrel a few times I backed off the powder to puff target loads and the leading decreased significantly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom