Leaving hangun and passenger in a vehicle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the OKLAHOMA SELF-DEFENSE ACT:

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES

"Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle."

Any legal experts care to define "near the vehicle" in this case?

For example...

Can I legally leave my wife and loaded handgun (put out of sight) in the vehicle cab while I go into a liquor store or post office?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a legal expert. Post office parking lot is off limits, but you should be fine walking into the liquor store. I actually don't think a liquor store is a prohibited place to carry into.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there was talk about making it legal to carry inside of your vehicle without a license. I don't remember if that change was ever made to the SDA.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm mostly worried about the definition of "near the vehicle." Seems like that could either be a loophole or a noose.
I'm sure without the terms 50' or 100' or whatever calling out the exact distance it's one of those OK gray laws that leaves interpretation to the responding officer, then the courts and attorneys.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forget about being concerned about the liquor store. Not an issue.

Post Office parking isn't an issue either. If you can't put it in a trunk, just unload it and leave it in the open. Or send her into the PO.

The SDA doc is pretty clear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom