Leaving hangun and passenger in a vehicle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a legal expert. Post office parking lot is off limits, but you should be fine walking into the liquor store. I actually don't think a liquor store is a prohibited place to carry into.
I thought we could leave a gun in our car at a parking lot provided my a place that's off limits. Just can't take it inside building.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you search past threads there were some links to news stories of post office parking lot arrests. I think there were three examples, do not know how long back, someone here might remember. VA Hospital parking lots are on the list also.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Correct it was a firearm secured in a vehicle . But case involved a post office employee, Clarence Paul Dorosan, and I believe that has some bearing on the arrest. The link you cited is a bit confusing. Here is a link to the USDC Opinion. http://volokh.com/files/dorosan.pdf
The other case extending to parking lots, involves Tab Boniday. It comes from a denied request to possess on the parking lot along with a subsequent lawsuit.
https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/13/13-1374.pdf I believe the supreme court recently did not take the appeal of the case so as it stands now it still considers the parking lot the post office.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Locked glove box or console would cover it.

I no longer believe it's a good idea to store a firearm in either of these locations or in the door pocket. If you aren't going to have the firearm on your body then it should be stored in a lock box when you are away from the vehicle.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I no longer believe it's a good idea to store a firearm in either of these locations or in the door pocket. If you aren't going to have the firearm on your body then it should be stored in a lock box when you are away from the vehicle.

Didn't read the OP, did you? He asked about leaving a loaded pistol in the car with his wife who wouldn't have a Oklahoma SDA permit. Leaving it in a locked glove box or locked console, without her having access to the key, would not leave her in possession of a loaded firearm and therefore not in violation of the SDA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom