LED Strip Lights in a Garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that my attic is at a comfortable temperature to work, I'm thinking about adding some lighting in my garage. Years ago, I would have gone with 8' fluorescent strips. But now I'm thinking about the LED strip lights. The lumen levels and wattage used look decent enough. Has anyone made the switch to LED lights in their garage?

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 4 of these in my garage and it's awesome. I just have a standard 2 car garage, so you may need more or less, but they work great. Whatever fixtures you go with, I would avoid fluorescent. I can't stand the start up time on fluorescent, especially in cold weather.

Below is a comparison between the before (with a single overhead bulb) and after (with the 4 LED fixtures).

2017-01-03 11.51.36.jpg

2017-01-14 16.30.33.jpg

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I have installed them several places and have replaced almost all the bulbs in our house plus the rent houses we have. Sam's has a good 4' fixture for garage, shop etc. were about $40 but the last time I looked they were about 35. Sometimes they drop down to about $25. At one time they had them with Bluetooth speakers. Bought 4 of those but have not used them yet. Only place I had trouble with led is the garage door openers. If they are old the led tends to screw up the remote openers and sometimes will not work

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been switching from fluorescent tubes to LED in my shop fixtures as the former burn out. You just need to bypass the ballast to use LED, and I can see quite a difference between the two types of lighting, literally side by side. LED is way better.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been switching from fluorescent tubes to LED in my shop fixtures as the former burn out. You just need to bypass the ballast to use LED, and I can see quite a difference between the two types of lighting, literally side by side. LED is way better.

Just what are you doing to " ... bypass the ballast ..." ???

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is timely for me. Our garage has 10 total florescent lights, 8 of which are now inoperable. I loathe getting replacement bulbs (and then finding out it's a bad ballast) so I think I am just going to replace the whole lot of 'em.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just what are you doing to " ... bypass the ballast ..." ???

It depends on which LED bulbs you buy. There usually are instructions included with the bulbs for doing this, if they’re designed to replace existing fluorescent tubes. In my case, simply remove the ballast completely, and connect the wires straight to the contacts at each end of the strip. Works nicely.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LED is the way to go w/shop lights. Energy efficient, low cost, longer lasting. Very durable, brighter, and built sturdy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom