Lee disc powder measure Modification.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used my Lee disc to meter a lot of pistol powders and it works like a dream.

It did not do so well when I first acquired it though and I acquired it used.
The problem was the screws holding the hopper on were a bit short and had been in and out of the plastic hopper too many times
and broke the plastic ears off.
Once I got that fixed I found the distance between hopper and disc was too much and powder would accumulate on my bench.
I never measured the distance with feeler gauges but i did measure a new one i scored and the clearance is .011" or 11 thousandths.

I removed the hopper on my used one and filed down the aluminum that the hopper sits on.
I checked my clearance last night and it is .003" probably why it does not leave any powder on the bench now.

Now that disc moves forward and dumps powder down a hole in the aluminum and into the flared case.
I found if I used a large hole in the disc for loading my 45 colt I had to adjust the thing to my flare die so much that the flare was way more than I needed.

This was because the larger disc hole would not completely dump all the powder down the small frame hole.
This frame hole needed to be moved back or elongated that way I could minimally flare my case and get all the powder out of the disc hole.
No powder hanging on a ledge.

I took a couple pictures for you guys.

Notice the black hopper disc measure frame hole vs the red one.
I elongated it and polished it.

Notice where the .003" feeler gauge is at also.
File the aluminum body to close that gap.
lee disc measure tweak 001.JPG
lee disc measure tweak 002.JPG

One more thing I do is I do not remove the powder hopper when changing discs.
You will wear the screw holes out if you do it enough times.

I instead remove that return spring and 1 phillips screw holding that arm that moves the disc and remove the arm.
This allows the disc to slide out from between hopper and frame.

I suppose if you do not tighten the screws too tight you may be fine removing them often.
I checked the new powder measure I have and the screws were snugish but not tight and I measured the gap with a
feeler gauge and that snugish vs tight was worth .001"

If you have one of these and it tosses powder or does not measure good or you have to add too much flare these tweaks may help you out.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These disc measures of mine are not the Pro version.
The Pro has the elastomeric seal.

I assume that was added to close the gap. I do have a Pro one but it would not drop consistent for me.
Could be because the seal was not "Graphite treated".

Latest posts

Top Bottom