Lee Hand Press--What Do You Think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Lee hand press and would appreciate input from anyone who has used one. I travel quite a bit and would like to put my hotel time to good use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017131
I would probably load 38 special, 30 carbine, neck-sized rifle, and 7.5x55 Swiss (full resize).

I already have everything else needed, including components.

Thanks!

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several and have been using them to load all my ammo for about 20 years. I do everything except size brass with them. What do you really want to know?
Thanks for your reply. Your response answers most of my questions.

Is there any brass that can be resized with the hand press? Straight wall pistol at least?

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not that you can't resize brass with it. It just doesn't have the mechanical leverage of a bench press and that can make resizing some cases difficult.

That said, I've resized .30-30 cases with mine with no problem. Straight-walled cases should not be a problem either.

Full-length resizing the 7.5x55 Swiss might be a bit much for the hand press. I suggest getting a Lee Challenger single-stage press for that. The hand press would work fine for neck-sizing the Swiss.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one that I use to do seating depth testing at the range. I'll load all my bullets long, then take them to the range and dial them in at specific seating depths with the hand press and a micrometer die. Works like a charm. I haven't used mine for anything else, but it seems you can get a good amount of leverage on it and it would probably be a very good economical solution if you someone isn't loading anything in high volume.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard of several folks doing exactly what you intend to do. I can’t imagine there would be any issue with straight wall cases. If I was a traveling man like some seem to be, I’d have a mount for the receiver hitch of my truck and be sitting in a lawn chair in the parking lot. Heck I’ve already got the mounts that I use in my reloading room. But hey I don’t mind looking like a redneck sitting out by my truck. Lol. I haven’t done it yet but I can take one of my presses on it’s mount and plug it into my truck right next to my shooting bench at the range.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one that I use to do seating depth testing at the range. I'll load all my bullets long, then take them to the range and dial them in at specific seating depths with the hand press and a micrometer die. Works like a charm. I haven't used mine for anything else, but it seems you can get a good amount of leverage on it and it would probably be a very good economical solution if you someone isn't loading anything in high volume.
Very interesting! I have seen that done in the benchrest range many times, and I wondered about it.

Thanks for your explanation.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have one and use it for little things...it's what I started loading with. I really like it to load say 10 rounds of my special hunting ammo and things like that.
It does take a little bit of M.A.N. and some Armstrong but it's worth it IMO.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Your response answers most of my questions.

Is there any brass that can be resized with the hand press? Straight wall pistol at least?
I use a Rock Chucker for all resizing, but I’m sure I could do 38 and 44 brass with a hand press.
My recommendation is to get a real press of whatever brand tickles your fancy and size a bunch of brass before you know you’re going on a trip. I really like your idea for loading ammo to kill hotel time. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom