Lee Pro 1000....Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother is interested in getting his own reloading press. He's been using my turret since I got it so no need for a single stage or fixed turret press. We've been talking about the Lee Pro 1000. Very economical for a progressive and from reading reviews, some people love it, and some people hate it with a passion. At 160 completely set up for one caliber is it worth it? Would the 160 be better saved and put towards a Hornady LnL? Forget Dillon presses for a minute. They're nice, but over priced IMO.

I figure if he gets the Lee, he'd be able to get the necessary supplies to get going like a good scale and a couple books and still have money in his pocket over the more expensive presses.

Also thought about the Lee auto indexing turret press. Slower sure, but still way better than a single stage.

He doesn't plan on reloading a million rounds a year, but doesn't want to waste his days off loading up 100 rounds on a single stage either. He's primarily looking to load up 9mm and 38/357.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustingaunder,

The Lee is very inexpensive and will work but, under the shellplate there are some little plastic "fiddley" pieces that wear out over time. They have something to do with positioning the shell directly under the die. The way the primer feed "trough" is made when you get down to the last few primers it hangs up and causes problems. Thats when it is clean, when it gets a little dirty your brother will wish you were reloading for him.

The Hornady is a little more expensive, is easy to switch between calibers and a hell of a lot more robust than the Lee.

In my opinion your brother should get a cheap Lee "C" press (about 25 bucks new) and load singly while saving up for a good Hornady or Dillon.

When I started reloading I had a Lee Pro 1000 and a C press. I ended up using the C press most of the time. Now I have the Hornady the biggest problem I've had with it was one time I forgot to change the primer feeding tube to the small pistol primer tube and flipped over about 30 out of 100 primers while loading 38 special.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one and it was okay if I pre-primed the cases. There is a certain ammount of fiddlieing that is involved in keeping it running smoothly. After buying the 1000 and all the extra thngs you need/ want. I would just assume buy a nice turret kit like the Lyman which has everything to get started except a decent set of calipers.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought a Lee Classic Turret. I really like it. Here's some info that might help you decide. Later Don

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60440&highlight=lee+pro+1000

Thanks for the links. Exactly the same stuff I've been reading. Good press.....garbage press.....I'm ready to pull my hair out.

We talked some more about it and I think he's going to save up some pennies and spring for the Hornady.

Keep the comments and links coming, still haven't made up his mind.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you going to be loading on it? If only handgun calibers check out the Dillon Square Deal B. Firecop203 had one for sale set up and ready for a good price, 9mm I think.

Otherwise Hornady LNL all the way.

I use a single stage only for rifle calibers, except for .223 which I do load on my Hornady for the volume factor. For bottle neck cases, I think you get better results with a single stage. :twocents:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you going to be loading on it? If only handgun calibers check out the Dillon Square Deal B. Firecop203 had one for sale set up and ready for a good price, 9mm I think.

Otherwise Hornady LNL all the way.

I use a single stage only for rifle calibers, except for .223 which I do load on my Hornady for the volume factor. For bottle neck cases, I think you get better results with a single stage. :twocents:

It sold, but it was higher than the LnL. Good price he had with all the extras, but it's sold now. Not really interested in the SDB because of the proprietary dies.

I'm going to get a LnL in a couple months. I've got to build a work bench in my garage. I'll leave my turret in the house with all my rifle stuff, but I can go out for 30 minutes or so and crank out some handgun stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom