Lee Pro 4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lee will sometimes not fully seat, usually does. Will skip primers all together. Sometimes the powder drop does not work.

Deprime always works, brass and bullet feed are spotless as is the loading and seating die positions.

Likely a setup issue on my part but several of us could not improve reliability. I got a Hornady drop to try instead of the Lee with discs.

The pin for inserting primers seems to be consistent then it is light for one or two.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lee will sometimes not fully seat, usually does. Will skip primers all together. Sometimes the powder drop does not work.

Deprime always works, brass and bullet feed are spotless as is the loading and seating die positions.

Likely a setup issue on my part but several of us could not improve reliability. I got a Hornady drop to try instead of the Lee with discs.

The pin for inserting primers seems to be consistent then it is light for one or two.
Using a Lee powder "thrower" with the discs that sit below the powder can be problematic.

Some tweaks you can do to one of those that I have done to both of mine.

The spring that pulls the disc back runs right on a rib under the unit I have ground that rib away some so the spring moves freely.

With some expanders and small powder drops I have found the hole in the unit base that the disc hole is supposed to go over the top of is not far enough back.

I have ground and polished that hole larger.
Elongated that hole towards the middle of the unit.
Now I get all powder drops with minimal case neck flare.

Stick powders I do not use in it just ball of flake.

That brings up another issue with that disc powder measure.
The gap at the top of the disc between disc and powder container is too large for some powders.

Powder can get in that small crevice and trickles all over the unit and into the primer area if it has a bottom feed primer set up.

To fix it look at what the powder container sits on.
2 flat walls.
File those walls down some to eliminate that gap.

Less powder in that gap and it will articulate better and throws will be much more consistent.
That's all I have for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom