Left eye dominant + right handed + scope = Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had alot of trouble at the Pawnee Run N' Gun with my left eye dominance. I shot primarily left handed using the rifle, other than awkward mag changes I did ok, but when I had to shoot the rifle right handed I ran into issues using the scope. I can't close my left eye, only my right. One stage I had to put my left hand over my left eye, so I could use my scope to shoot using my right eye/hand. Am I the only dude with this issue? If not, what do you guys suggest? This is one of the reasons I rarely shoot rifles, it's just way easier for me to use pistols.

Last edited:

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing before, but it sounds like this project did what it was supposed to do.

Now get out there and practice more!

How about a pirate eye patch you can flip down when you need it?

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing before, but it sounds like this project did what it was supposed to do.

Now get out there and practice more!

How about a pirate eye patch you can flip down when you need it?

Seriously thinking about the patch thing. In the past I used red dots mounted pretty high so it was a non issue.

Redriverboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my grandpa used to try to make me shoot right handed for days at a time he finally gave up ill never forget his reaction at my first shots (both hits and left handed) ive never had a problem with rifles since ive always shot left handed pistols can be a challenge at first but im getting proficient enough to shoot right or left hand one handed now if I use my right hand most people can see the funky angle I hold it a mile away

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I shoot much better left handed, but I routinely practice right handed. Although it's difficult, I can somewhat ensure my right eye is focused enough to get decent shots out. But, the scope does matter...very thin crosshairs are more difficult to see. What kind of scope are you using? Try to just stare down the scope and slowly bring whatever is in the right eye into awareness (or something like that)...the delicate technique is difficult to explain.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
are you truly left dominant or just can't close you left eye? might be a silly question but after reading your OP, the patch may be the answer.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. My dad would put a patch over my eye when I was young and hated it. One day shooting with an optometrist he noticed the issue and had me do a few simple exercises and determined i am left eye dominant so I started shooting lefty. I also had the same issue with not being able to close my left eye and shoot right handed. It caused me issues during deer season as my father would setup all of our deer stands for right handed shooters and on more than one occasion I had to shoot right handed. I would lean my head over as far as possible and use my left eye. Over the last couple of years I decided to try to learn to close my left eye. My family used to make fun of me because I couldn't close my left eye or wink with both eyes. I started sitting around first closing it with my hand and then concentrating on using muscles to keep it closed. Or I would close both eyes and try to only open my right eye. I looked at it kind of like dry firing practice and would do it while sitting in front of the tv or computer (like now). It only took a little while to master it. I was surprised how easy it was to learn after 35 years of not being able to. I then try to practice a few shots with both eyes when shooting scoped rifles. If I can do it anyone can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom