Legal Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahzel100

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question for FFL dealers. I have a buddy from Illinois who is going to be coming to OK in a couple of weeks and he wants to do a little gun shopping. Hes 21, has a Firearms Owners Id Card, and is all legal to purchase firearms. There is a 24hr waiting period for long guns in IL, as well as a 72hr period for handguns. Can he legally purchase a weapon in OK from a dealer without having to ship it back to IL?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
from an ATF newsletter for licensee's dated June 2010.....

Non-Licensed Residents from Another State:
• May dispose of firearms to any FFL.
• May acquire long guns only from FFLs licensed in the State, provided the laws of both States are complied with and all provisions of the Brady law are met.
• Cannot acquire handguns.
• May order firearms from any FFL and have them shipped from the show to an FFL in their State of residence by a commercial or contract carrier in accordance with State and Federal law.
• Cannot acquire from or dispose of firearms to non-licensed individuals.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only rifles or shotguns. Thanks

AND the laws of both states are met.

I did a Quick look at Illinois laws and they are a lot more complex then ours. Setting aside that their laws do not prohibit them from purchasing out of state (which I'm not sure about) you might still have trouble getting a Oklahoma dealer from wanting to go through the hassle of complying with their laws

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from an ATF newsletter for licensee's dated June 2010.....

Non-Licensed Residents from Another State:
• May dispose of firearms to any FFL.
• May acquire long guns only from FFLs licensed in the State, provided the laws of both States are complied with and all provisions of the Brady law are met.
• Cannot acquire handguns.
• May order firearms from any FFL and have them shipped from the show to an FFL in their State of residence by a commercial or contract carrier in accordance with State and Federal law.
• Cannot acquire from or dispose of firearms to non-licensed individuals.

Is there any exception for out of state visiting relatives or friends that you would like to give them a pistol as a gift?

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man if your buddy was from any other state than IL I would say dont worry about it. IL may want him to do a transfer . I know a resident of IL has to have a FOID card to posses a gun. You have to have a FOID card to buy ammo or even handle a gun at the gun store.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than it could be construed as a straw purchase which is a felony for both parties. I am not saying he is not legal, but it is a touchy area that if the selling FFL knows about then most wont sell you then gun to protect themselves.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any exception for out of state visiting relatives or friends that you would like to give them a pistol as a gift?

The way that I read it.....

In the eyes of the ATF. The "Transfer" of a firearm has nothing to do if money has been exchanged. When someone has Acquired or Disposed of a firearm then a transfer has taken place and is subject to the same laws

Latest posts

Top Bottom