Legal Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way that I read it.....

In the eyes of the ATF. The "Transfer" of a firearm has nothing to do if money has been exchanged. When someone has Acquired or Disposed of a firearm then a transfer has taken place and is subject to the same laws

Good piont I never thought of it like that.:screwy: or should I say check and mate

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coming here from another state to purchase a handgun in the exact reason the Anti's want stricter laws.
If I remember right handguns must be registered in Ill. and to be in compliance he must transfer it via a dealer or risk having it confiscated and get in trouble.
The prices there are not much different than here. Why take the risk?

A gift is a tranfer. An inheritence must be in a will with documentation.
If you buy something and give it to him that is a "strawman purchase" as mentioned above. Do you want to risk going to jail?

Google the BATFE or NRA website for "Published state laws and ordinances" to find out Ill. exact rules.
Some states do not allow interstate purchases of long guns.

After that Okla Narcotics guy paying people to buy guns for him (another thread) I bet they are really watching transfers.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google the BATFE or NRA website for "Published state laws and ordinances" to find out Ill. exact rules.
Some states do not allow interstate purchases of long guns.

After that Okla Narcotics guy paying people to buy guns for him (another thread) I bet they are really watching transfers.

ED, I know you get it. but to expand on your reply.

It is a straw purchase when you obtain the firearm on someone else behalf (the ask you to buy it for them). Gifts are perfectly legal providing all laws are met and in the OP's situation they would not.

Also, I was warned by an ATF Field agent to not take the State lwas and ORD book for final rule. state laws often change too often for it to be 100% current

Latest posts

Top Bottom