Legal to carry in a church?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR Addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been beat to death, but I'd like to find out for sure on this. I've heard both yes and no from LE and other permit holders I've talked to! I've been searching for an answer to this without much luck. I didn't see anywhere it was specifically banned in the SDA.

This is assuming the church hasn't posted against it, which our hasn't.

Things might get more complicated with our church in particular as its a private school as well. Either way it would be nice to know!

Last edited:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When students are present, then the SDA rules for private schools apply.
When students are NOT present, it is private property, and the owner controls it. The SDA does not list every kind of private property, such as churches, stores, shops, garages, etc,

You really need to read the applicable parts of the SDA, which is what a judge will use.

A concealed or unconcealed weapon may be carried onto private school property or in any school bus or vehicle used by any private school for transportation of students or teachers by a person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided a policy has been adopted by the governing entity of the private school that authorizes the carrying and possession of a weapon on private school property or in any school bus or vehicle used by a private school.

A person, property owner, tenant, employer, holder of an event permit, place of worship or business entity that does or does not prohibit any individual except a convicted felon from carrying a loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed weapon on property that the person, property owner, tenant, employer, holder of an event permit, place of worship or business entity owns, or has legal control of, is immune from any liability arising from that decision.

Last edited:

AR Addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When students are present, then the SDA rules for private schools apply.
When students are NOT present, it is private property, and the owner controls it. The SDA does not list every kind of private property, such as churches, stores, shops, garages, etc,

You really need to read the applicable parts of the SDA, which is what a judge will use.

So for a regular church situation, there is no law prohibiting carry there if the Church is fine with it? This is what I always assumed, but like I said I've heard both ways.

I read through these parts of the SDA just before posting here, didn't see anything clearly saying you couldn't, but I'm not always the best at interpreting laws!

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only time I say no to a church is when students attending school are present. Beyond that there is no law saying you can't carry in a church. There are very specific places you're not allowed to carry a gun. At the end of the day, it's private property, like a bank, store, etc., you're not breaking a law, just their policy. Now if they have a gun buster policy, they can only ask you to leave and when you don't, you're now breaking the law, not a gun law.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have designated people in one of the churches I attend that conceal carry. They are positioned at the entrances, exits and access points of the church sanctuary. No very few people know who they are for a reason.
Churches are one of the softest targets around and in a holy war, a very good battle field for our enemies.
On the lighter side, if the pastor had an AR slung around him when the offerings were taken, the new buildings would be going up quicker.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We discussed this and thought it best that the people designated to be concealed to conceal. They even had walkthrough drills with the deacons. No need for a full scale practice with the congregation because of lots of reasons. One, no plan will work in a panic. Two, a bunch will be unable to move and evacuating is very unlikely in an attack. The guys (and one girl) are shooters that train and are top shelf shooters. Two are LEO's and have combat experience.
That sounds all too crazy, but to me, we're doing everything we should.

Latest posts

Top Bottom