Legal to mail firearm in state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a practical matter, I have used UPS for long guns also (you cannot use post office for pistols) because of insurance and less hassle.
You may run into a clerk that does not know the law and will insist you have to ship to an FFL.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does this apply to antiques? I am wanting to send a gift, Colt ext hammer dbbl barrel 12g made in 1874 to a friend in Cali, any suggestions?

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does this apply to antiques? I am wanting to send a gift, Colt ext hammer dbbl barrel 12g made in 1874 to a friend in Cali, any suggestions?
If you are positive that it is an antique (manufactured in or before 1898) and if the recipient is allowed to possess a firearm (for instance, is not a convicted felon, doesn't abuse illegal drugs, etc) then it can indeed be shipped directly to the recipient CA, no FFL required.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are positive that it is an antique (manufactured in or before 1898) and if the recipient is allowed to possess a firearm (for instance, is not a convicted felon, doesn't abuse illegal drugs, etc) then it can indeed be shipped directly to the recipient CA, no FFL required.

I am pretty sure, Colt just made this model for 3 years in 1870's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom