1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Legality Of Blackjacks, Saps And Batons?

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by OV1kenobi, Aug 29, 2012.

1. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi Marksman

I just recently acquired my "Oklahoma Concealed Weapon License."

O.K. I understand that this license allows me to carry a handgun for the purpose of defense.

Just wondering.... Can I carry a sap, blackjack or baton in case I am assaulted and need to respond in order to protect myself and my loved ones, but not to the degree that I need to put a bullet into someone's brain? In other words, if I am assaulted by some oversized, drunk, loud-mouthed bully that wants to tangle physically but has not drawn a weapon; despite his/her size advantage?

I really don't want to shoot someone if I can at all avoid it, but if I can't avoid a confrontation, despite my best efforts, I would rather like to end it as quickly as possible with a sap, blackjack or baton. I would NEVER want to shoot anyone if there are other means available to defend myself and my loved ones.

I completely understand that a sap, blackjack or baton can fracture someone's scull, but I also understand that a a bullet, once fired, will very likely do that and more.

2. Danny Tanner

Danny Tanner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Not sure about the legalities of carrying any of those. To my knowledge, I don't believe you can, but I've never considered it so I haven't really paid attention to whether I can or can't. Somebody will no doubt be along to confirm my guess or prove otherwise. I'd advise you to stick around and wait for somebody that knows for certain.

In your hypothetical situation, if you're dealing with a drunken idiot that has the size and strength advantage, wouldn't you prefer to keep the distance between the two of you and maybe consider pepper spray?

3. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Not legal. The OK SDA doesn't cover weapons other than handguns, that are illegal to carry under OS 21-1272.

4. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi Marksman

Just want to be clear about this.

Let me get this straight and without any doubt.

So, if some Alex Karras (NFL player-type) decided to assault me or one of my family, It would be perfectly fine to blow his brains out with a 10mm round from a Glock Model 20, rather than clothes-lining him by smacking his teeth into his throat with a blackjack or bust his jaw with some brass knuckles?

I assume that I would be better off shooting him?

Maybe I am somewhat warped in my logic. If so, please educate and correct me.

However, my conscience tells me that there is something wrong with the logic that it is perfectly fine to shoot someone who is a threat, but it is wrong, immoral and illegal to smack him down with a sap.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    RollingRock likes this.
  5. JB Books

JB Books Shooter Emeritus

That's a very colorful description.

6. ExSniper

ExSniper Sharpshooter

21-1272 covers unlawful carry and all of the devices mentioned are included.

7. hrdware

hrdware Sharpshooter

Just so everyone can see what 1272 says without having to go look it up:

8. saddlebum

saddlebum Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    pepper spray is a good less lethal tool

9. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So long as you are in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm, yes. Otherwise, this:

You can also get a civilian Taser if you'd prefer. Remember, the law doesn't have to make sense for you to be bound by it. It made sense to someone at some point in Oklahoma history, and that's the sum of it. :)

SABOT likes this.
  10. Lurker66

Lurker66 Sharpshooter

it sounds to me like your 7ft tall and bullit proof. Think seriously about all the possibilities that could happen if you and/or family was assaulted by the "Alex Karros" type.

Now to think that you would attempt to protect them with a sap or pepper spray as opposed to a firearm, when you have an option? That my friend is not sound logic.