Legality Of Blackjacks, Saps And Batons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any law enforcement agencies that still allow their LEOs to carry blackjacks?

View attachment 96649

That's an awesome pic! :clap3:

Sadly, no. I carried a sap in my back pocket when I was a rookie, by the advice of a district judge I knew.

I was walking in the courthouse one day as he was walking out. I had my baton in my ring, like a good strapping young officer should. He hooked my arm and stopped me in my tracks and said, "what in the hell are you doing with that club?" I informed him it was an impact weapon and that I was required to carry one. He went on to say, "and just how many bad guys have you had the opportunity to use it on?"
"None yet," was my reply.
"Have you ever arrested a subject as big as you?" he asked.
"No, not yet," I answered.
"If you were to hit a person with that nightstick" he said," I would have a hard time siding with you, bubba. Lose that damned thing and slip a sap into your back pocket. That's all you need."

So, I went out and bought myself a good leaded leather sap.

About 10 months later, I arrive at CLEET (when they were at DPS in OKC) with my good ol' leaded, leather sap in my back pocket. Academy coordinator Randy Jacoby spots it in my pocket, calls me out of the class and says, "YOU! Don't walk - RUN to your car...lock that damned slapper up in your glove box and when you get home, throw it away! CLEET will NOT stand behind you if you were to use it. It is not an approved impact weapon."

So, that was the end of my sap totin' days. :cry3:

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Sadly, no. I carried a sap in my back pocket when I was a rookie, by the advice of a district judge I knew.

I was walking in the courthouse one day as he was walking out. I had my baton in my ring, like a good strapping young officer should. He hooked my arm and stopped me in my tracks and said, "what in the hell are you doing with that club?" I informed him it was an impact weapon and that I was required to carry one. He went on to say, "and just how many bad guys have you had the opportunity to use it on?"
"If you were to hit a person with that nightstick" he said," I would have a hard time siding with you, bubba. Lose that damned thing and slip a sap into your back pocket. That's all you need."

About 10 months later, I arrive at CLEET (when they were at DPS in OKC) with my good ol' leaded, leather sap in my back pocket. Academy coordinator Randy Jacoby spots it in my pocket, calls me out of the class and says, "YOU! Don't walk - RUN to your car...lock that damned slapper up in your glove box and when you get home, throw it away! CLEET will NOT stand behind you if you were to use it. It is not an approved impact weapon."

The times they have changed.

The picture is my late father’s blackjack (I have this one and another one that is thicker/rounder locked in my safe that never see the light of day) and his Detective Special that he carried for most of his career until he retired in '78.

My father was a LEO for 32 years in So Cal when back in the day an officer could put people in the trunk of the car (I learned at his retirement dinner that he actually held the record for arrests in one car because he utilized trunk space). That was a time when people realized that if you respect a LEO they will respect you. If you don’t, you will get what you have coming and it will hurt.

He carried a blackjack when he was a detective because he got tuned up one day going fists with a very large trucker that did not want to be arrested. Dad was pushing 6' and knew how to fight but he was no match. Luckily a uniform cop named “Lou” who was once my dad’s partner (and became my son’s godfather) rolled up. Lou was an ex-heavyweight fighter. Watched him take a phonebook that my mom was throwing away and wrist it in half. Lou usually didn’t carry the normal wooden “billy-club” of the day but kept a longer stick that my dad called a "riot stick" in the car because he believed he got increased “bat speed” with it. This time he didn’t pull the stick but simply gave this trucker a hard short right that lifted him up on his heels … knocked him out with a body punch.

Dad carried a blackjack ever since.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

True story: Back in about 1995'ish when I worked at OSU-OKC, Randy Jacoby, the president of the college at that time, the late Dr. Jerry Carroll (RIP) and I sang RESPECT by The Supremes while wearing cheap grass hula skirts, plastic flower leis, and coconut bra-lookin' things for some kind of college fund raiser we were doing. Randy was wearing a pair of combat boots too and jumped up on the table with his old hairy skinny azz bird legs and danced the fool while we sang. I was terribly embarrassed. I haven't even thought about that event much in 20 odd years until you posted up about him!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, "Jake Jacoby" as he is affectionately called by his brown shirt brethren, was a prick to us when we were raw recruits. But I went back a few months later to BA school there at DPS and bumped into him.

He was a totally different person.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew him when he ran the Driving School thing at OSU-OKC. One heck of a funny guy.

(Man, that was like 20-22 years ago!)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time in Oklahoma City, LEO's had as part of their equipment-Saps or Blackjacks. They were used frequently in the days when if one back talked a policeman you went to jail for disrespect toward a law enforcement officer. I remember that my half-brother was the recipient of the bad side of a sap by an old deceased police officer by the name of Sherman Brown. If you gave Sherman any lip, you'd live to regret meeting this guy. Approximately in 1955 my mother told me that they came to talk to the half-brother at the house and called him outside and she heard a "bunch of thuds and grunts" and then silence one dark night and they took him away.
Ah, those were the days, I regret having to live through them. I suppose others here have similar stories of deprivation during childhood and screwed up families.

Latest posts

Top Bottom