Legality of selling US mil Ceradyne ESAPI's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize these would definitely not legally be sold outside the US, but I honestly don't know the route these took out of military stock. I'm not sure, but I was given the impression they may have gone AWOL, so to speak.

Would selling (or possessing) ESAPI's under any of those circumstances be a crime? Obviously the person in possession didn't steal them from the armory or anything, no mil/LEO background at all, but trying to figure out if he needs to do anything to stay legal

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you know they were Military issue, they are stolen. No if's and's but's or or's... Are they out there? YES. When I retired, I turned in 3 sets to CIF. The Military never "gave" these plates to a Service member, they issued them and they are required to be returned. Many folks have Military gear in their possession, some of it is legit, most not. IMHO, ESAPIs are certainly not.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you know they were Military issue, they are stolen. No if's and's but's or or's... Are they out there? YES. When I retired, I turned in 3 sets to CIF. The Military never "gave" these plates to a Service member, they issued them and they are required to be returned. Many folks have Military gear in their possession, some of it is legit, most not. IMHO, ESAPIs are certainly not.

I know enough to know they are legit...how would one go about returning stolen military property? They are serialed and everything, but I don't think anyone would want them getting linked back to a person who volunteered to take a bullet for our country and then apparently made a dumb decision 10 years ago either, so any advice is appreciated.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no. THe Gov has been tying to stop this from happening ever since the RFI for modern equipment since 01. But things happen. Most of the time ESAPIs end up in the hands of ETSed or Retired Soldiers is because they were not issued at the same facility as they were issued. IE, they were issued in theater and not turned back in "in theater" Come ETS time, the service member tries to turn them into CIF and CIF says, "We don't want that". At that point it becomes legal property of the SM ETSing. By that I mean legally, there isn't a lot the Army can do about it.

I retired in 08, was issued Plates in 06 and returned in 07. Come retirement, CIF said, "We don't want those" and, literally refused to take them. So it depends on the manner in which you ended up with them. When I retired, I had 3 MICH helmets, 2 sets of IBAs and a set of ESAPI plates. Bottom line is, Gov accountability is a total mess

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and no. THe Gov has been tying to stop this from happening ever since the RFI for modern equipment since 01. But things happen. Most of the time ESAPIs end up in the hands of ETSed or Retired Soldiers is because they were not issued at the same facility as they were issued. IE, they were issued in theater and not turned back in "in theater" Come ETS time, the service member tries to turn them into CIF and CIF says, "We don't want that". At that point it becomes legal property of the SM ETSing. By that I mean legally, there isn't a lot the Army can do about it.

I retired in 08, was issued Plates in 06 and returned in 07. Come retirement, CIF said, "We don't want those" and, literally refused to take them. So it depends on the manner in which you ended up with them. When I retired, I had 3 MICH helmets, 2 sets of IBAs and a set of ESAPI plates. Bottom line is, Gov accountability is a total mess
you can turn them all in to me, I'll properly dispose of them.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One bad thing about contraband, is that it may turn up during investigation of a questionable (or even legit) self-defense scenario, and prejudice things in the wrong direction.

YMMV. Just my two cents. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom