LEO asked me to remove my gun and leave it in car during traffic stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what happens if I am asked to leave my weapon in myvehicle, But i have a child in the vehicle, and am not comfortable doing so??

I would respectfully inform the officer of the concern, then do as directed.
believe it or not, some police may do this stuff on auto-pilot (verbage) but all officers that I have treated with respect have done the same...I have met the exception, but if I broke the law, then my choices of how I get treated are far less than the norm.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not just OHP,almost every state trooper Ive been stopped by in any state has had me back to their cruisers in the front seat,and almost every city officer in every city Ive lived in that has stopped me has had me stay in my car while they checked me out.

It just goes to show how much more professional OHP troopers are then any other branch of law enforcement in the state.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA is not the ONLY statute that comes into play during an encounter with a LEO. For officer safety you can be patted down during any detainment and any weapons discovered can be removed. Sounds like this OHP trooper did exactly what he is trained to do. You were wise to comply.
I usually have people stay in their car during a stop and once you tell me you are carrying, I will ask where it is and tell you to leave it there. After I have run your drivers license and I am sure you have no outstanding warrants, then I will write the ticket or warning and send you on your way.
Being polite to the officer goes a long way in determining the outcome (and cost) of any citation he may write.
Like GED, I am not usually going to chase down someone who decides to run away. That is why we have radios! Eventually someone will come looking for the car.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got pulled over in Ramona, Ok on the way to Pawhuska during deer season.

the deputy that pulled me over was super nervous and acted like a total rookie. He immediately pulled his gun .. pointed my direction...

this is after complying 100% .. thought I was going to get shot.
he gave me a ticket for speeding, which I contested and got dismissed.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's just the way OHP does their traffic stops. Since the beginning of time, they've always seated the violator in the front seat with them. Why, I do not know. :screwy:

I for one, want the person OUT of their car...I don't know what they have in there that might hurt me.

However, there's no way in hell I want them IN mine. I DO know what's in there that could possible hurt me. ;)

what if they had a box of donuts would you let them in your car then,lol....:rollingla

Latest posts

Top Bottom