LEO asked me to remove my gun and leave it in car during traffic stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can be confident that if a police officer finds a gun on your person without being informed of it first, you will probably wind up on the ground with a gun pointed at you.

Michael Brown

Understood (and agreed) I was just refering to the terminology of "sticking it in your ear". I thought that sounded funny coming from two different stories.

maximus

Maximus
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had just read that post a couple minutes earlier before i posted about the gun in the ear and died laughing at the statement... but its common around them ill bet ... Every group of gun guys i get around have their own little saying... My favorite was " he will revoke their birth certificate". I read that in a guns and ammo mag from 2o years ago...

Gentlemen, The only thing that was left out of the ordeal was he commented on my blue floor plate on my glock.. i explained that during training my mag was always mixed with a lot of other peoples (their name was written on theirs) on the ground... other than that, i tried to put every word and action the exact way it happened... no reason to exaggerate here, just tell my story and see differing opinions...

Please do not misunderstand.. while i dont think the way he unarmed me was safe in any way.... Im not, lets say, bitching about it here by saying how wrong he was etc... I do wish that the OHP would possibly reconsider how they handle that situation... for their safety and mine..i wouldnt mind them having me put my hands on the trunk, although that wouldve been a little embarrassing..., and disarmed me.... In the last 10 years, ive been stopped a couple of other times by different cities and they never cared to do anything ... The last time here in Moore , I was actually on my way to the range and had a rather large sig bag in the backseat with my GF in the fron carrying also... he stopped me for tag being overdue (April, and it was May. Ive never been pulled over for something that wasnt my fault)asked where i was going .. and then he said he wished he was going with us.... then proceeded to tell me to have a good day.

maximus

Maximus
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes , i did get a ticket and no i didnt ask him on why he removed the gun... I didnt feel like i should be questioning him and getting him pissed at me....I assume its their policy and it makes them feel a lil more relaxed...but the guy who tells u first thing and has his permit shouldnt put them on that edge like a guy who doesnt tell them... not even in the same ballpark if u ask me...im just sayin.

I would bet that the over the air calls are taped where he called the gun in... Is that correct , Mr Brown?

Really doesnt matter though... I dont want to push this that kind of way.... Im on their side.......

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like another poster had said before it is a shame you could not just let someone know how dangerous that was without actually filing a complaint and getting anyone in trouble.... police officers are human and make the same simple mistakes we all do, but with just a tougher job than most have....

Straitup

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first experience, was with a OHP at a rural check point in Caddo Cty. Where I followed my instructors suggestion and handed him both DL and CCL, I didn't say anything. He handed the CCL back, verified some information, gave the DL back and thanks.

The second contact, stopped by Wagnor City LEO, for speeding, I pulled over, when asked for License and POI, handed him the DL, CCL and Insurance card. He asked if I had it in the truck, told him it was in the console, he proceded to loudly inform me that I am to tell him Immediately that I have a gun in the vehicle, that he had been standing there for several seconds now. I told him, I was told I should just hand him the CCL, to which he informed me the Law says I have to TELL him immediately. I said no more. But I don’t EVER plan on yelling back to the LEO as he approces, “I have a gun in here”.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first experience, was with a OHP at a rural check point in Caddo Cty. Where I followed my instructors suggestion and handed him both DL and CCL, I didn't say anything. He handed the CCL back, verified some information, gave the DL back and thanks.

The second contact, stopped by Wagnor City LEO, for speeding, I pulled over, when asked for License and POI, handed him the DL, CCL and Insurance card. He asked if I had it in the truck, told him it was in the console, he proceded to loudly inform me that I am to tell him Immediately that I have a gun in the vehicle, that he had been standing there for several seconds now. I told him, I was told I should just hand him the CCL, to which he informed me the Law says I have to TELL him immediately. I said no more. But I don’t EVER plan on yelling back to the LEO as he approces, “I have a gun in here”.

as soon as cop walks up to my window, I've said "I am requried by law to notify you that I carrying a concealed weapon and I have a conceal carry permit"

The two times they asked me; where it was, then asked for my Drivers Licenses and insurance.

One lady trooper in KS said "if you don't use any of yours I won't use any of mine."

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did I miss who the "instructor" was that gave you such bad advice. I'd like to inform my customers that get guns for concealed carry to avoid him....

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe maximus and BryanDP both use similar vernacular in their story and maybe the Troopers didn't say it exactly that way............... Just seemed funny that they both referred to sticking a gun in their ear.

I don't remember the exact phrasing, but it was definitely something about a gun in the ear.

Bryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom