Let’s talk 2506 Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 to all of that^^^^. I really like the nossler 165gn ballistic tips in my 308s (favorite plinking rounds). But they really go wonky at 600 yards. I do have and shoot a lot of those 168 gn Sierra hpbt match bullets. The only reason is because I got a really good deal on 2500 of them a while back. They are not terrible if the expectations are in the right place. That is unless you sort by weight and length a box of 500 of them (because you're going to have about 30 lots of like bullets).
I only really reload for 5.56 and 6.5G.
I got a *bit* inebriated one Super Bowl weekend and ordered 12,000 77gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets for my mk262 clones (back when they were 12 cents each).
And I am one that sorts by length to ogive and weight. I’m religious about brass head stamps and lot numbers. I even sort my 5.56 brass by weight.
Anyway, I gave up sorting the bullets. Being 5.56, and going no farther than 800 yards absolute max, it wasn’t worth the time. The variation was appalling. It made me wonder how they shot so damned well.
At this point I just go with it, and say a prayer of thanks to God for AR Comp, in which all loads are sub MOA.

Last edited:

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to see more bullet choices for the .25. One of the earlier (and best) .25-06 that I worked with was a Mashburn Improved. Back then, most loads were with an 87 grain and case full of 4831. These bullets were too light for use on larger game, but it would flat-ass toast a coyote.

As for use on elk, one of the best hunters I've known preferred to use his Savage 99 in 250-3000.

Last edited:

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only really reload for 5.56 and 6.5G.
I got a *bit* inebriated one Super Bowl weekend and ordered 12,000 77gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets for my mk262 clones (back when they were 12 cents each).
And I am one that sorts by length to ogive and weight. I’m religious about brass head stamps and lot numbers. I even sort my 5.56 brass by weight.
Anyway, I gave up sorting the bullets. Being 5.56, and going no farther than 800 yards absolute max, it wasn’t worth the time. The variation was appalling. It made me wonder how they shot so damned well.
At this point I just go with it, and say a prayer of thanks to God for AR Comp, in which all loads are sub MOA.
I really wanted to do a stick shift build in 6.5 Grendel for a hog gun. It seems to be a great all around cartridge and does really well with the shorter barrels. With the current supply issues, it couldn't be a worse time to get into a new caliber.

It's definitely on the want list anyway.

Prairie Traveler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my {many} firearms regrets, is trading off a Very nice Ruger 77V, in 25-06. The heavier barrel on that "V" made it very accurate, with some careful reloads. It would do everything my 6mm Rem. would do, only farther, and with a heavier bullet.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really wanted to do a stick shift build in 6.5 Grendel for a hog gun. It seems to be a great all around cartridge and does really well with the shorter barrels. With the current supply issues, it couldn't be a worse time to get into a new caliber.

It's definitely on the want list anyway.
It’s pretty astonishing to be honest, but I think it’s viability took a big hit without the wolf steel case ammo.
Say what you will but it’s 2-3 MOA in my guns, and Hornady isn’t much better.
So easy to find a sub MOA hand load for when ya roll your own. Really amazing…but 6mm ARC has longer legs.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s pretty astonishing to be honest, but I think it’s viability took a big hit without the wolf steel case ammo.
Say what you will but it’s 2-3 MOA in my guns, and Hornady isn’t much better.
So easy to find a sub MOA hand load for when ya roll your own. Really amazing…but 6mm ARC has longer legs.
I'm really blessed in that I can shoot where I live. There are three dedicated shooters in my house so feeding that interest is something I always have to consider. IMO, the cheep steel case ammo for the 6.5g made it a no brainer to get into. I really don't have an excuse why I didn't jump on it, really dropped the ball. In every way it's a great round.

Live and learn though. Oldest kiddo still wants on for a hunting AR. I need to get around and do a couple of em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom